Eclipse (Pt. 3)

○•

 A tug on his hand halted Katsuki at the school gates. “Kacchan.”

 He turned, greeted by Deku’s worried eyes and determined frown. He groaned. “Don’t give me that look. I just know you’re gonna say something dumb.”

 “Kacchan, you don’t need to feel so guilty about what happened in the past.”

 “Knew it.” Katsuki grumbled. He narrowed his eyes, extracting his hand from Deku’s so he could tuck it into the fold of his arms. “I’m not guilty over anything.” That was a damn lie, and he knew Deku knew it too. But he wasn't going to just outright admit that.

 “Don’t even try that. You broke down on my bathroom floor the day after you told me you didn’t care, remember? And I saw the way you looked back there in Fukami’s office.”

 “What the fuck does it matter?” What did talking about it solve? Katsuki couldn’t just let the guilt go. I twasn’t that easy.

 And besides, this guilt was his punishment. He’d hurt Deku and he’d suffer the consequences, even if it meant being settled with this regret for the rest of his life. 

 “Because you don’t deserve this! Why did you start going to therapy?”

 “The same reason everybody else does, to be better.”

 “And you are better. You’re an amazing person, Kacchan.” Deku argued, emphatic, his fingers finding their way to Katsuki’s sleeves. “Haven’t you learned in your time with her that you deserve happiness, too? Let her help you in the way you need.”

 Not knowing how to respond, Katsuki clamped his mouth shut. His jaw clenched and Deku soothed a soft hand over the muscle.

 “People change. Maybe not completely, but in the ways that are important. You’ve already saved me so many times in so many ways, Kacchan! You’re an amazing person, friend, and boyfriend, and one of these days, you’re gonna be an amazing hero, too. Okay?”

 His mouth was dry. He knew he should be fighting this harder. He should stand his ground and valiantly declare he knew himself better than anybody else, that he could handle his own shit, but the wind picked up and all he could focus on was the way Deku stayed staring at him even with wild curls blowing in his face.

 “Tch. Whatever.” he mumbled, jerking his head to the side so Deku wouldn’t be abe to catch sight of the light flush inching over his cheekbones and the bridge of his nose.