High

Warning: use of drugs.

Photo by Rob on Unsplash

-----

"Are you high?"

She bites her lip, unable to help but smile. Like a child who had done a very funny stupidity. In front of her, Joel doesn't want to laugh at all. He immediately noticed her dilated pupils, her absent-minded but serene expression. She shrugs her shoulders.

"You were afraid I'd be too tensed to do it. I'm relaxed now.

-This ain't a game, you need to be focused out there.

-Oh, I am, don't you worry."

She walks over to her horse, hooking her backpack to the saddle. In her back, Eugene shrugs helplessly before mounting his own horse. Joel sighs. All of this was a bad idea. He knew it was too much for her. And now they're outside, miles from Jackson's safe walls.

-----------------

"There's no way she's doing that Maria.

-It's been weeks now.

-And? She's still having nightmares. She can't do it.

-It's not your decision to take."

Joel's eyes are black with anger. His sister-in-law is the boss, and most of the time he agrees with her. But not this time. Too sucked into this conversation, he didn't notice that in the doorway is Chloe standing, only wearing one of his shirts.

"What's going on?"

Her eyes move from one to the other, trying to understand the screams. They weren't arguing over their relationship. It was too early in the morning, Maria never would have shown up at dawn for this. And then everyone seemed to have got used to the idea of them together. Maria glances at Joel before starting to talk to the young woman.

"We need you to go on patrol.

-Why?

-Daryl is still injured, Anna is sick. The others are exhausted. I wouldn't ask you that if it wasn't important. But I have no choice."

Chloe nods and lets out a quiet ok. She turns around to go upstairs and change, Joel following her. As she undresses, he paces behind her, still furious.

"You don't have to do that, she can't force you, there are other people in town.

-It's ok Joel. I can manage."

He looks at her, trying to probe her mind. He isn't afraid for her physical safety, he knows that she can defend herself. But he fears for her mental stability. Going outside scares her. She hasn't been out since she killed Samuel weeks ago.

But the determination of the young woman seems stronger than anything. Without a word, they walk together to the stables where their horses are already waiting for them. As she is about to climb on hers, he gently grabs her arm.

"You can still change your mind if you want, you don't owe anyone anything.

-I'm ok Joel.

-Don't worry, I'll look after her."

Eugene approached them. Joel nods to thank him. The only thing that reassures him is knowing that she would be with him. He would never have accepted her going out with one of those young people who had known nothing in their lives but the safety of Jackson's walls. With a tight stomach, he joins his own horse. He is not to see her again until the next morning, at the meeting point for all the patrol pairs. Twenty-four tiny hours and yet he is terrified to face them.