Infected

Warning: Physical & Psychological violence.

I'm pretty tired right now, so I'm pretty sure there will be some his/her mismatch, sorry about that (I also hope I left no French words... If I do so, please consider this as a dedication @APhoenix99  ;p).

Photo by Egor Myznik on Unsplash

--------------------

The hum of electric heating fills the room as she turns back and forth in her bed. It was Tommy who brought the devices the day after their night in the living room, so that they will no longer be cold in their respective bedrooms. Too bad, she couldn't help thinking. It had been a beautiful night. She had rarely slept so well, and she was sure the reassuring presence of the man next to her was no stranger to it.

Through her door ajar, she sees the light coming out of Joel's room. Both had gotten into the habit of never closing their doors completely at night. Her, so as not to feel locked in and be reassured by the sounds he was making. Him to hear her better if she was having one of those violent nightmares.

She inhales, reflects, hesitates, straightens up before lying down again. She even forces herself to close her eyes. But immediately images come back to her, always more terrifying. She sits down for good. If they are to do what he planned for the next day, she must sleep.

Hanging on to a book she recommended, Joel is not asleep yet. He looks up in surprise when she walks into his room, silent. Had he been so captivated by this novel that he hadn't heard her have a nightmare? He puts the object on his nightstand to focus his attention on her.

"You're ok?

- I can't sleep. I... I wonder if..."

She stops and looks away. She is ridiculous. He's never going to accept and tomorrow it will be weird between them. Never mind, she whispers as she turns to run away from the bedroom, already feeling the embarrassment coloring her cheeks.

"Wait, what do you need?"

She faces him again and plays with her fingers a bit before daring to look at him.

"I... Can I sleep with you?" She corrects herself before giving him time to react. "I mean, like, lay next to you. In all chastity. I know I'm a whore but/"

He frowns and the cut sternly.

"Stop calling you that.

- Why, that's what I am, there's no point of denying it.

- Was. And it's not like you had a choice. You were more a slave than a prostitute you know.

- If you say so. So, are you ok about having a slave sleeping next to you?"

He sighs at the stubbornness of the young woman, but he still nods to indicate the spot next to him. He knows her well enough now to know when she needs to talk. She would probably go back to bed after emptying her mind.

"I turn the light off?"

She nods. He turns his gaze to her, guessing her worried look in the dim light coming in from outside.

"Is this about tomorrow? I won't force you if you're not ready. But I think it would be nice for you to go out a bit, to discover nature under the snow. You'll see, the area is beautiful. Nothing to do with QZ."

She tries to smile, but her expression remains nervous.

"You'll be safe with me and Tommy. It's an easy patrol, a short road. We'll probably see infected only from afar. And if Tommy is in a good mood, he might teach you how to use a sniper." He continues to watch her, hoping she's relaxed. In vain. She finally dares to speak out.