September 26

Hello hello!

Please feel free to spam me with your comments, advice or whatever, I feel alone right here ! 

Photo by Wes Hicks on Unsplash

-----

When he wakes up that morning, Joel knows perfectly well what day it is. Rubbing his face after too short a night, he gets up and puts on a comfortable outfit. At least today he'll be on patrol, the seriousness of his task should keep him from thinking too much about it.

As he walks past Chloe's bedroom, he notices it's empty, the bed unmade. He walks down the steps with a nervousness that only leaves him when he sees light in the kitchen.

"Hey, why are you already up?

-I just wanted to make you breakfast before your patrol. "

He is a little surprised. It's rare for her to be up before him when he goes on patrol, or anytime for that matter. She rarely gets up before 7am, the nightmares usually leaving her alone in those hours between night and morning.

Seeing what she's cooking, he's more and more intrigued. It's his favorite. How did she know. It can't be a coincidence. He's about to question her when something catches his eye on the counter. A package that he quickly recognizes.

"Where did you find that?!

-Tommy gave it to me."

Damnit Tommy. It was impressive how someone who could keep heavy secrets couldn't shut up on simple matters. But his annoyance quickly evaporates as he opens the package, letting the sweet scent of coffee fill his nose. He looks up at the young woman.

"So, I guess you know?

-That today is your birthday? Yep.

-What... What else did he say?" Joel asks in a slightly more serious tone. He remembers how Maria, barely meeting Ellie, had told her about the most painful moment of his life.

"Nothing, just that you don't like celebrating it. That why I'm just low-key making you breakfast.

-Did he tell you why?

-He wanted to, but... I stopped him.

-Why?

-Because it wasn't his story to tell." She says, staring into his eyes before focusing on the stove in front of her. He doesn't answer, letting silence settle. She resumes without looking at him.

"But I guess it has to do with that broken watch you wear all the time."

He looks at her, stunned.

"I see only two reasons why someone would wear a broken watch. The first is because the person is crazy. But even if you and I don't always see eye to eye, I don't believe you're crazy.

-And the second?

-I reminds you of someone dear. Who, why, I don't know. But that would be my guess."

He nods, without really answering. He thought she had never noticed his watch. After all, she had never mentioned it. But she had seen it, and she had even considered the question. Taken aback, he doesn't know what to say. Chloe doesn't take offense at the silence, changing the subject.

"It's almost ready, so if you want some coffee, you're going to have to make it yourself. I have absolutely no idea how to do this and Tommy told me you would cut off my head if I wasted up even an ounce. It's too much pressure for this early in the morning. "