"I'm sorry"

Warning: suicide attempt, allusion to sexual abuse, abusive relationship. (I spare nothing to this character, do I?)

I finally gave my character a firstname, so please meet Chloe. Thanks to @APhoenix99 for helping me with that!

Photo by Nathan Anderson on Unsplash

---------------------

Strong knocks on the man's door. He gets up, annoyed. Who can go after his door like that? He had barely returned home after walking the young woman to Tommy's. All he wanted now was to play guitar and go to bed. No matter what drama his visitor brought in, he didn't want to deal with it.

But when he opens his door, he changes his mind. His brother is there, breathless and obviously worried.

"Have you seen Chloe?

-Not since I left her at your place, why?

-She left this... and took one of my guns."

Joel's face freezes as he reads the few scribbled words. I'm sorry. Without taking the time to think about it, he grabs his jacket and walks out. They decide to split up to cover more territory. Jackson is not that big, and she couldn't leave the walls. The guards would never let out anyone who had never been on patrol.

But there are so many corners, so many deserted places at this hour. It wouldn't take long for her to act. One finger curl and it will be over. Joel can't help but curse himself. He was with her, they had talked, and he had seen nothing. How could he have been so blind. Her songs. Her stare. He must find her.

Maybe they should have warned more people, they would have found her faster. But Maria didn't want it. For Chloe it would be worse, that everyone knows. The leader was just going to ask to a few trusted people to search with them, without letting them know the gravity of the situation.

The minutes pass, each as long as hours. He is feverish. He has to find her. Suddenly a conversation comes back to his mind and he turns around. Please, be there.

----------

Someone is banging on the door, obviously upset. Quickly, Talia's voice is heard.

"Cyril open that fucking door! Chloe! Chloe!"

The young woman runs to open the door to the one who for all these years has served as a mother figure for her. No sooner has she passed the door than the girl falls into her arms. She tightens her embrace as she observes the scene, her gaze falling quickly on the hole in the wall. No doubt, a bullet has been fired. Torn up by sobs, Chloe tries to tell her what happened, although she still doesn't understand it herself.

So, the matron starts to explain what she knows. Earlier in the day, Cyril's henchmen disembarked at the club and turned everything around, questioning the girls bluntly. Apparently, they had a revert. A big attack on the business. They think their enemies have infiltrated the club and that someone has spoken.

The door opens again, here he comes. He chuckles when he sees that Talia is present. He should have known. The manager of his club always had a soft spot for his mistress.

"She didn't do anything Cyril. You barely let her out, and when she comes at the club you always have one of you man with her.

-Yeah, to protect her. There are bad men out there, you should know that Talia.

-So why do you treat her like she's guilty. You know she doesn't know a fucking thing about the business. Even if she wanted to, she couldn't speak."