The last secrets

Warning: Physical & psychological violence, mention of rape. Should be the last one, after it will just be fluff and love and sweet moments (well, until we reach Part II events... You know...)

Photo by Aditya Vyas on Unsplash

------

Sleeping together has become like a tacit agreement between them. She joins him in the night while he is sleeping or pretending to be, when she is awakened by a nightmare or the fear of having one. He wakes up quietly in the morning, letting her store as much rest as possible.

He doesn't mind having her in his bed. Since they started, the nightmares have been fewer, less intense. When she has one, he just has to put his hand on her arm or her shoulder, for that immediately reassured by his presence, she lies down and goes back to sleep.

When they see each other during the day, they don't talk about it. Like nothing ever happened. Or like it was a normal thing. That's why she's surprised that morning when he brings it up as she absently pours herself a cup of tea, gazing into her book.

" You're gonna have to sleep in your room tonight.

-Why, you're expecting company?"

He remains desperately silent. She looks up from her book, taken aback.

"Shit, you are?"

He laughs softly. The old smug.

"No, Tommy came by when you were upstairs. He needs me for a long patrol, we'll probably be out for two or three days.

-You trust me to keep the house?

- Yeah. Let's face it, if one of us were to burn it down, it would probably be me while trying to cook."

She laughs softly at the idea and doesn't seem afraid of the announcement, which relieves Joel. Before that, he often had to patrol for several days, or at least spend the night in one of the outposts when it was too late to return. But since her arrival, he'd been content with daytime patrols, making sure he was always at home in the evening so that she wasn't left alone for too long.

This time, Maria really needed him. The task was about getting rid of as many infected as possible to secure the surroundings before more hordes came in and got the situation out of control. The expression on Chloe's face is peaceful and she returned to reading her book. She looks fine, but in her head, it's panic.

He's leaving me alone.

"Are you going to be okay?

-Hm? Yeah, of course.

-I'm sure you could stay with Maria if you want to. It won't bother her.

-Joel I'm no longer a little girl, I can stay home alone. And I can ask Ellie to keep me company, I'll make her some good meals, we'll take the opportunity to complain about you. And then I can put my music on full blast. It's going to be cool actually! Are you leaving already?"

He laughs and leaves her to go get ready. Alone in the kitchen, she spins the liquid in her cup, concentrating on the movement so as not to be overwhelmed by her emotions. She's safe in this town. She doesn't need him to protect her. She will be fine. She must be fine.

----------------

"She's very talented."

Chloe watches the drawings spread out in front of her. Ellie went to pick up her friend's work to show it to her host, as they had just finished dinner.

"Cat told me that someday if I want, she could cover my scar with a tattoo.

-She can do that?

-She says so.