Mirror

A lot of songs in that chapter, I try to keep really only the one that made sense considering her story and her feelings, but there are still a lot of them! As usual || means that Chloe is singing these parts.

 And this chapter is really longer than I thought it would be, just the inspiration I guess! So maybe we still have two chapters to go. I have inspiration for the ending, and an idea to put between this chapter and that ending, I just don't know if it will all fit in one chapter or two. Anyway, once again, thanks for still being around, the numbers are going up crazy and I feel really grateful for this.

Photo by Martin Jaroš on Unsplash

------------

Gently, she dabs the skin of her face after splashing water on it. She watches her features in the mirror, patting them with her fingertips. Wrinkles began to set in, grief prematurely digging some furrows. Her forties are fast approaching, her face would not look any better now.

"You're still so pretty"

She turns to Joel who's standing in the doorway, watching her tracking the evolution of her face. She sighs and resumes her contemplation

"I have lots of wrinkles now, and my eyes don't shine anymore.

-It's not true.

-What's true is... You made me age too soon Joel.

-I'm sorry."

She turns her head towards him again, but he's gone. She bites her lip. That's all she has left. Memories and mirages. Five years have passed but his ghost is still very present. His objects are still there, as are his clothes in the closet. His workshop is still set, barely dustier than when he used it.

Leaving the mirror, she goes to get ready, with slow movements. She's not yet forty, but she feels like she's lived through twice that.

-----

The church is packed that evening. All the regulars gathered to attend the Molly and Chris concert. Since being parents, they play much less often, but each time they gain the same popularity. She nods to greet Ellie and Dina across the room. They must have entrusted JJ to someone for a romantic evening. It had taken her months after the Santa Barbara episode, but Ellie had managed to make amends, first reintegrating herself into the life of her son before winning Dina back. While there are still difficult times, she's now much better at handling them. And to be there for her family.

Ellie had lied when she saw Tommy again the day after she arrived. She had told him it was over, that Abby was dead. Maybe it was hypocritical of her to be in the liar role. But all she wanted was to try to bring him some peace. He had cried and thanked her, hugging her for a long time. In the end, only Dina and Chloe know the truth, and have sworn to take it to their graves.

Chloe sits at the end of the counter, closer to the stage to watch her best friend perform. To be served too, Derek always quick to refill her glass. She drops several doses of the amber liquid, playing with her fingers on the wood. She laughs softly at one of the silly announcements Molly makes between songs, before freezing when hearing what would come next.

"It's been a while since I sang Abba. Five years. This song is much better as a duet. So I hope I won't be singing alone tonight."

Her eyes widen a little more as Derek puts a microphone in front of her. She bites the inside of her cheeks, her face down to her glass, as Molly begins to sing Chiquitita.

Chiquitita, tell me what's wrong

You're enchained by your own sorrow