Happy birthday my love

Warning: Angst, mention of Joel's death/last moments, panic attack.

Finally we arrive at the chapter which evokes what gave this title to my story. It's the song Dark Paradise from Lana Del Rey, that I find fit perfectly to Chloe state of mind after Joel's death, even 5 years after. I struggle to keep the lyrics at a minimum, considering how much all the lyrics fit to her story aha.

For Doctor Eric, I'm picturing Paul Bettany, but do as you please.

For those who were following my job adventures, I blew this one once again. Not enough experience, blablabla. So still unemployed, still a useless weight for the society. I'm gonna spend my weekend eating and writing. Because maybe if I can't find a regular job, it's just the sign I should put myself out there and try to make my way as write right away even if I'm not that good and we're thousand willing it. Anyway, I stop ranting, here's the new chapter.

Photo by Nathan Wright on Unsplash

--------------------

"Hey lovely! I brought you alcohol, and Eric.

-Hope you don't mind me barging in.

-Off course she doesn't. You new around here, you need to make friends your age!

-Derek, you know we actually need him for the town. He's gonna run away after spending time with us.

-Nonsense, I'm counting on you to show him that Jackson has the finest company!

-Well in that case... Doc, welcome to this outbreak party.

-What?!

-30 years of brain-eaten humanity, that calls for celebration."

The doctor is stunned by this statement, making Chloe chuckle softly. She tells him to make herself comfortable along the others in the living room. She returns to the kitchen to grab the dishes she has been cooking all afternoon. No sooner has she put them down than Molly grabs her hand to train her to dance. In the background, I'm your man by Leonard Cohen is playing. It's one of her favorites. The two women begin to dance close together while singing the words.

| If you want a driver, climb inside

Or if you want to take me for a ride

You know you can

I'm your man|

"Are you girls drunk?"

The two women smile at Derek before returning to their dance. The truth is, they started drinking early in the afternoon, while they were preparing the evening meal. Chloe realized that this was the first time she would have so many people at home since his death. There had never been more than two or three guests. Tonight, between friends and family, there were a dozen of them occupying space. It made her heart ache. As if she was betraying him somewhat, going on with her life as if nothing had happened.

"You know if you say the word, I drop everything and I'm your man."

She laughs when she hears Molly's proposal in her ear. She knows she's only half kidding. She is always by her side, ready to support her, to help her. To keep her from sinking.

"Won't you miss Chris?

-Well, if you're not too jealous, maybe I could keep him at hand for some of my needs."

Chloe laughs again, a bit more candid laughter. It does her good to laugh. Everyone around is delighted to hear that sound again pass through the barrier of her lips. It had been so long, they'd thought they'd never heard it again. As the song stops, the player launches a new CD and Lolita's first notes begin to echo through the room, soon covered by the voices of Chloe and Molly singing it with enthusiasm.