"I killed her"

"I killed her"

Her voice whips through the air. The older man turns his head towards the woman, a frown twisting his face. Did he understand what she meant?

It's been a few minutes since he arrived on the back porch. The lights were out, but she was there, sitting with her gaze fixed on the mountains or in the void, softly humming to herself a tune he didn't know.

"It's 2 a.m., why aren't you sleeping?

- What about you?"

Fair enough. He let out a small sigh before sitting down next to the young woman. He rubbed the back of his neck, his body still tense after a long day of work. Silence had settled in. Not a tense or embarrassed one. If she could be talkative and teasing, she also knew how to savor the comfort of a shared silence. That's one thing he surely appreciated.

It had been a few weeks since she moved into his home, about one year after he settled in Jackson. At first glance, she seemed like a strange roommate for this fifty-year-old man, as she must have barely left her twenties. But she couldn't stay with Tommy and Maria forever and he had a spare room. Everyone seemed satisfied with the arrangement.

Joel was beginning to enjoy this company, and the good meals that accompanied it. He found it amazing how someone who struggles to eat anything other than soup can enjoy cooking so much. Gradually, a relationship of trust began to take hold. That's why he doesn't hesitate long before breaking the silence.

"I heard what you said earlier to the girls. Your mom. Tommy and I... We also lost our mom to sickness. She... She got cancer. Before the outbreak. Nasty business."

She nods but doesn't add anything. She knows that the man isn't one to spill about his past. She knows about Sarah, and some bits of his past in Boston QZ. Oh, she doesn't know much, but enough to understand that he had seen and done things that morality could disapprove of.

And yet, she doesn't dare to tell him what is on her heart. She's afraid of his reaction. She's trying to resist but the words are making their way to her mouth and she's unable to hold them back, like a sour, uncontrollable bile. It's too late. It must come out, regardless of his reaction.

"I killed her."

She hears a rustle, and feel his confusion's look on her. She resumes, turning her head towards him without daring to meet his gaze.

"My... My mom. I killed her."

She bits her lip, wanting to prevent the tears from falling. She has started now, there is no going back. Might as well tell him everything.

"She... She was sick, real sick. But she kept dying. Most of the time when she was awake, she wasn't even conscious, her open eyes and her mouth only let out a few inconsistent messages. And she was in pain, she was in excruciating pain. Day and night, she moaned. It was just the two of us. The neighbors would drop me food sometimes. But most of the time, I was alone with her suffering. I would stay day and night by her side, with no more hope of seeing her emerge. But her body was refusing to give up."

She pauses for a moment, taking a breath before starting again.

"One night, she was finally sleeping. I wasn't. She seemed so peaceful, so quiet. I thought, this is it. This is how she should be. Just in peace. No more pain. It was dark in the room, there was no moon that night. So I gave her a kiss before taking a pillow and... I put it on her head. As strong as I could. She didn't react. I stayed like that for minutes but it felt like hours. I stayed until I felt it... Her last breath."

Tears are now streaming down her cheeks. She stares into void, pursed lips adding nothing more. She doesn't know why she told him about it. What would he think of her now?