Near deaths edge

The damage is severe, she knows. Her HUD is functioning enough to tell her this, from what she can still read and sense. The lens of her optic is cracked and fractured, leading to jagged and uneven imagery reporting back to her. There isn't much to see, she thinks to herself. Just ruin and chaos.

   Does she want to see her attacker approaching to finish her off? The enemy Scorch seems to sneer at her as it approaches, footsteps even and slow, dragging the wait out.

   The Northstar shudders as she tries to rise back to her feet. Her limbs don't respond accordingly: when she goes to prop herself up on an arm, she realizes it's no longer there; her legs are mangled and sparking.

   "Harpy?" her Pilot's voice comes through distant and full of static. "How are things?"

   What a question. She tries to speak, but her vocalizer spits sparks and fritzes, letting out nothing but bleats laced with fragmented syllables.

   "Harpy?" her Pilot sounds worried. She longs to assure Alexa's fear, to tell her things are alright, but she simply cannot bring herself to lie to her Pilot (even if she were able to speak).

   With the last of her quickly-draining energy, the Northstar reaches for her Railgun with one trembling arm, twisting her chassis to aim one-handed at the nearing Scorch.

   However, just as the shot charges, it sweeps one great arm at her, knocking the Railgun out of her grasp and to the side where it clunks against a boulder. She watches fearfully, her fragmented gaze turning back to the Titan in front of her. The cockpit opens, where a leering Pilot glares down at her from their perch.

   "Useless machine," they snarl. "Good Titans don't rely on their Pilot to save them. It's the Titan's job to save the Pilot, sweetheart." A lecherous laugh rumbles out of them as they signal to the Scorch to raise its palm, where the Thermal Shield roars to life in a menacing light.

   She knows this is it. She is going to die here. Alexa is going to go through the pain of a broken Link. The heat of the Shield registers on her overloaded sensors, making her weakly flinch away.

   A tremendous crash nearby indicated Titanfall, though she is unsure if it is friend or foe. She can't muster the will to wonder, not with her fate so close.

   "Maybe they'll give your Pilot a worthwhile Titan next time," the Pilot laughs as they huddle down closer to their Scorch's chassis. "One that can defend them, for once. How's that sound?"

   Feebly, Harpy kicks one damaged leg at the Scorch's veritable tree-trunk legs. It barely hits, merely grazing the metal and hardly scratching the paint at all.

   She feels the ground under her rumble. Someone is approaching.

   They won't be here soon enough, she knows.

   "Finish this thing," the Pilot tells the Scorch. "We have other things to attend to besides--"

   They're cut off by the quick, rapid-fire burst of a Devotion. Collapsing, they grab their side where the rounds had scored clean through their body. The Scorch pauses, the Shield faltering as it registers harm to its Pilot. The Shield disengages altogether, the hand instead going to grab their Pilot to shove them into the cockpit to get to safety.

   The Scorch has hardly moved before something large barrels into them. The sound of metal on metal is positively cacophonous, screeching and tearing and mangling all at once. The Pilot falls from the Scorch's hand, crumbling to the ground in a heap. Harpy tries her best to sit up to glare daggers at them, but finds she can no longer move.