raw sugarbeets in terms of sweetness

He wakes suddenly, jackknifing up with a yelp.

Moot startles at the end of the bed, eyes wide and ears back. When she realizes there is no threat, she focuses on Cooper, crawling up the bunk to get closer. She plunks her head in his lap ungraciously, tail barely wagging, looking up at him with pitiful, begging eyes.

His mind reels. It has been months since...he shakes his head. As long ago as it may have been, it still haunts him as if it happened yesterday. He raises his hands--shaking, he notices, he's so upset that they're shaking visibly-- to scrub his face. His palms wipe away salty tear trails as he tries to comfort himself.

Cooper is distracted from his wallowing by a whine. Distractedly, he looks down and makes eye contact with Moot, making her tail wag furiously, thumping against the covers. With a heaved sigh, he slumps over, cradling her head in his hands and touching his forehead to hers.

Just as quickly as she was to offer comfort, Moot wriggles out of his grasp. Her nails click against the floor as she eases off the bed, moving to stand by the door. She huffs, not-quite-a-bark, to get his attention.

Blearily, Cooper looks up. He knows what she wants.

He wants it, too.

"You wanna go see him?" he murmurs, smirking.

The tail thumps against the wall in a quick rhythm, the dog shifting feet excitedly.

"You're gonna wake the others with your thumpin'," he scolds, swinging his legs over the edge of the bunk. His bare feet touch the cold floor, almost making him recoil. He is wont to leave the warmth of the bunk, but his nerves demand that he move to ease his anxiety. Quickly, he puts on socks and throws an old MCOR hoodie over his head. Stuffing his hands in the pocket, he plods over to the door.

It opens as he approaches, sensing his motion. Moot immediately shoves past him to get into the hallway outside, nearly knocking him off-kilter in the process. Cooper braces himself against the door with one hand to keep from stumbling.

Moot is already at the turn in the hall ahead of him, waiting impatiently. She does not go further until he nears. Once he reaches her, she scoots ahead to the next turn.

She most certainly knows where they're headed.

At the final door between them and the hangar, she's by far too excited to stay still. Darting back to Cooper, she circles around him before dashing back to the door. A bark threatens to escape; Moot manages to muffle it at the very last second.

She's hurrying him, he realizes. She's trying to herd him towards the door to make him move quicker.

"I'm comin', I'm comin'," he chuckles as he punches in the code for the door. As soon as it starts to sweep open, Moot is wriggling into the meager gap between the door and the frame to get inside. As he follows behind her, he realizes she's halfway across the hangar already, bee-lining it to her destination. He feigns an air of calmness, walking slowly over to where she stops despite his urge to follow Moot's lead and haul ass over.

Already, he can see the cyan glow from inside the dock. Struts creak as they're tested.

"Hello, there," a familiar, comforting voice rumbles from within. Moot finally gives in and barks happily. A giant hand appears from the dock, moving to gently pat Moot's head with one finger. It is slow and incredibly careful doing so, aware of how small Moot is.

The sound of his voice makes Cooper instantly relax, the tension bleeding out of his body. His shoulders slump; he consciously makes an effort to stop gritting his teeth. His spine relaxes from the ramrod-stiff posture he had reflexively taken. It literally feels like the weight of his nightmare has been lifted off his shoulders and mind.

As he rounds the corner to look in the dock, he's met with the same familiar cyan light he saw earlier. BT kneels down on his haunches to be closer to his Pilot, hands propped on his knee joints.

"Cooper," he comments, optic shuttering as he scrutinizes the other. "You look...unwell."

Reflexively, he huffs a laugh. Of course BT would state the obvious.

Cooper also knows the Titan will do what he can to fix it.

"Yeah, I--" he rubs his face with his hands tiredly. "It happened again."

"I understand," BT rumbles to him. The Vanguard shifts, cracking open the cockpit with a hiss. One of his hands moves from his knee to place palm-up in front of Cooper.

Cooper balks, despite himself. Normally, he simply spends time near the Titan to remind himself that, yes, BT is intact, safe and sound, before heading back to his bunk.

BT seems to have other plans.

"I can tell this was a particularly severe recurrence," the Titan comments. "Your biorhythms are irregular and your heart is beating rapidly." He looks straight at Cooper. "I can also tell it will be hard for you to go back to resting feeling as such."

"So, your plan is to just keep me here? Is there an ulterior motive?" the Pilot snorts.

"Yes," BT states bluntly. "The 'ulterior motive' is keeping you calm and at ease. In your state, the only way that can be done is to stay in close proximity for the rest of the night until your shift starts."

"You want me to sleep here?"

"That is the idea." BT shifts his optic to look at Moot. "There is room for Moot, as well."

Cooper sighs, somewhat-defeatedly. There's no point in arguing. The Titan is right in every aspect. Wordlessly, he stoops over to heft Moot off the ground and into his arms. She goes willingly, though her tail whaps against his side in this position.

Carefully, he steps up into the offered palm, leaning back against BT's curled fingers for balance as it moves closer to the Titan's chassis. BT waits for him to embark patiently.

Slumping into the seat, he releases his grip on Moot only for her to stay put in his lap.

"You're too heavy," he sighs, nudging her. "You're not a lap dog."

She pays him no mind, snuggling down into a ball and resting her head on the armrest. He knows that, truly, if he wanted her to move, he could make her. She could sleep on the floor between his feet.

He can't find enough cruelty within him to disturb her.

"Rest well, Pilot," BT rumbles, the constant thrum of systems working lulling him to sleep already. "I will see you in the morning."

----
:) Fluff is needed for today, and you have received it <3
This was written by Mav(beat)! 

i just took the title they gave it because i couldnt think of anything else lol

Moot is a Pitbull dog that belongs to Mav.