Everybody Wants to Change the World

The vans arrived around sunset. Two of them.

A young man around their age and a girl who looked no older than twenty walked in, and talked to Dr. Death for the longest time.

Fun was still anxious about his decision, but he wouldn't forgive himself not helping. But he hated the idea of leaving Grace alone. What if they never came back and she got left alone again? So he tried to spend as much time with her before leaving.

They drew pictures in the back room, and Frank could hear the rest going over the plan. The guy explained to them that everything was ready for them, so they need to be quick and get out of there as soon as possible. The goal was to recruit more people and send a message. Next time, the riots would start.

'Promise me you'll keep fighting,' he said to Grace, but she was too young to understand what he was saying, or what was happening, and most likely she didn't understand what they were fighting for, but Fun hoped she'd understand the ideals one day. And that they would get to see her grow up.

He tried his best not to cry in front of her, and instead helped her build a fort.

When she finally fell asleep, he joined the rest in the front room, where they're sitting around a map of the zones. He took a seat next to Party, who immediately wrapped his arm around him. 'She's asleep now,' Fun told him, and his husband just nodded.

'I'm glad you joined us, kid,' Dr. D told him. 'If you're going to join them, you need to know this.' Fun nodded.

They repeated the plan one more time for Frank. The tunnels, the hideouts, a plan B in case they didn't believe they were exterminators. 'You have to be fast when crossing the last tunnel,' Dr. Death said. 'Cherri Cola and Tragic Bliss here will be driving,' he pointed to the guys and the girl. 'They know how to get in and out of the city. But don't look suspicious, because they'll know right away.'

They all nodded.

'Once in the city, the vans will go their own way. You should be ready with the spray paint and the signs, and you have ten minutes to go nuts. Party will know what to do, he can tell you. When the time is up, get in the van, and get the fuck out of there. You understand?'

Fun Ghoul nodded.

They started to pack all the signs they made, and the supplies. Cherri Cola, the guy, took half of the fliers, and walked outside. 'I'll be waiting for you in the van,' he said.

It was time.

Fun tried his best not to cry, but when Party held him close, he lost it. 'I just need to say goodbye to her, okay?' he said.

'Babe, we'll be back before the sun is up tomorrow.'

'Just –' And he just pushed him aside and walked to the room, where Grace was still sleeping. He got on his knees and placed a kiss on her forehead. 'I love you,' he whispered.

'I promise I'll take care of her,' a voice said in the back. Maddie. 'It'll only be a few hours, but I'll look after her.'

'Please,' Fun begged.

'I promise. I'll tell her that her dads are out there saving the world.'

Fun couldn't help smiling at that. 'Thank you.'

And then he left the room, before he regretted his decision. 'Let's go,' he said to Party. 'Let's go save the world.'

***

Jet and Kobra went in Tragic Bliss' van, sitting in the back, hidden between boxes, while Party and Fun got in Cherri's van. 'We'll make a stop soon for gas, but you can't make any noise or they'll know. There's food in that bag in case you get hungry. I'll let you know when we get closer to the city so you get ready and hide yourselves.' The couple nodded and sat in the back corner behind some boxes.