I'll Keep You Safe Tonight

'We ran out of food.'

That was the first thing Fun Ghoul heard when he woke up, and definitely the worst. 'What?! How the fuck is Grace supposed to eat?!' he said. 'Don't you know how to control yourself?'

'I can go get something from the store,' Kobra replied.

'Do you have money, by any chance? Cause last time you tried to pocket canned food, we almost got caught! We can't afford that now! They're already looking for us!'

Fun couldn't believe he had to be the voice of reason now. Him, out of all people!

But none of them actually knew what it was to not eat for days because you didn't have money, and he didn't want that for Grace. At least in the desert, where the others grew up, they didn't have to worry about that because they could just cook lizards or whatever they could find.

'Fine,' he said. 'I guess, I'll have to get a job.'

'What?!' they all screamed in unison.

'But, baby –' Party said. 'Why?'

'Because we either starve to death or we get caught by BLi and we're fucked.'

They didn't say anything. They knew he was right, even though working for the man was against everything they believed in

After a moment, Kobra finally spoke up. 'Wait – how will you do it? Aren't you supposed to have like a BLi ID or something?'

'I do,' Fun replied, and they all gave him a look.

'But they'll find you! They'll find us!' Kobra started yelling.

'No, because they're looking for Fun Ghoul. I'm Frank Iero.'

Kobra and Jet Star were speechless, mouths agape. Meanwhile, Party and Fun shared a smile.

Jet Star was the first one to talk. 'But why didn't you tell us?!'

'He told me,' Party added.

'I was trying to avoid my past, okay?! And at first I didn't know if I could trust you.'

'So if you have an ID, it means you –' Kobra continued.

'Yes, I'm from Battery City. From the Slumbs. That's why I escaped.' That was all they needed to know and he was glad they didn't ask further.

'Can I call you Frankie?'

'NO! Only your brother gets to call me that!' Fun yelled in an angry voice. 'It's still Fun Ghoul for you!'

***

A couple hours later, he was already walking down the main street, asking around every store and restaurant, whether they were hiring. The car shop owner told him he'd let him know, but when the lady at the diner told him that if he could start that same day he had the job, so he was hired on the spot.

He got the cook position, during rush hour. Which wasn't easy because he had never worked at a restaurant and he was getting behind on the orders, and messing up. But at least they gave him something to eat, and when he mentioned he had a daughter, his boss gave him food and a gallon of milk.

He went back home six hours later, tired as hell, and left the plate on the table. 'Ration it,' he told the others. 'Make sure she eats first.' Then, he started walking away, heading upstairs. 'And you better find a way to bring money to the house soon!'

***

Later, once Grace was asleep, Party and Fun were almost there too, cuddling together. 'Hey,' Party whispered. 'Fun – babe.'

'Hm,' he mumbled.

'I just wanted to say – thank you for what you're doing for us.'

Fun opened his eyes slowly, and looked at his husband.

'You didn't have to.'

'For you and Grace, always. I guess since Kobra is your brother, and Jet is cool, I'll do it for them too.' Party smiled at him and kissed him tenderly.

'I'm sorry that you're so tired.'

'It's fine. At least it's better than my last job,' he joked, but Party didn't seem to like the joke.

'What if we can't find a job?'

'We'll figure something out.'

'But – isn't it what we were fighting against? Working for them? Being like everybody else and part of the society we hate so much?'

Fun hugged him and kissed his forehead. 'I know. I hate them too. But food isn't free. And now there's a girl who depends on us. It'll be for a while, until we know what to do. Let's just be normal for a while.'

'Why do you always know how to make everything better?'

Fun just laughed.

'I'm serious. Everything makes sense with you,' Party said, almost tearing up. 'I don't know what I'd do if you weren't in my life.'

'I'm sure you'd manage.' They kissed again. 'But it's a good thing you don't have to live without me ever again.'