The Only Hope For Me Is You

Life as a killjoy was definitely not what Fun Ghoul had thought.

Not only what it took to rebel against the system, and things that he never thought he'd had to do like building bombs, but also taking care of a baby.

Their mentor Gloria had just been captured by BLI, and died in the process. She had a six month old daughter, and the Killjoys were now in charge of her.

'How are we supposed to take care of a baby?' Jet Star asked, or more like yelled. 'Ghoul can't even clean after himself!'

'Hey! I heard that!' Fun Ghoul yelled from the bathroom.

'Well, we don't have a choice!' Party said, shrugging and tried to calm the baby down. She'd been crying all night, almost as if she knew her mom was gone. 'She has no one else. And we're family, aren't we?'

'For fuck's sake, Party!' Jet Star mumbled.

'Hey! No swearing around her!' The baby had woken up a new protective side of Party that he didn't know existed.

Their home had turned into the baby's playground, so they soon had to learn not to leave their laser guns around, and that babies eat literally anything.

They all got attached to her pretty quickly, taking turns to take care of her and play with her. But no one like Party Poison and Fun Ghoul. Especially Fun Ghoul. 'Who's the most adorable troublemaker?' he said to her, shaking her in his stomach and pulling funny faces at her to make her laugh. 'No, you are.'

Party Poison almost cried watching them from afar. He never thought Ghoul was that kind of guy. But seeing him like that was making him fall in love with him even more. 'Just go and propose to him,' Kobra Kid whispered behind him. 'Or at least stop drooling in front of me.'

'Shut up,' Party replied, and walked to the makeshift bed he shared with Ghoul. 'You two are the cutest motherfuckers on earth, you know that?' he said, and then kissed Ghoul.

'That's what I'm telling her. But she's cuter.'

'I don't know about that.' Party kept kissing him, almost forgetting about the baby until she giggled.

'Does she have a name?' Ghoul asked.

'I don't know. She never mentioned her, and I didn't find anything that might tell us a name.'

'Can I name her, then?' Party nodded, smiling at him like crazy. 'Grace.'

'I like it.' They kissed again, while Grace played with Ghoul's handkerchief. 'I never thought you liked babies.'

'I didn't know either. It's not like I was around any where I grew up.' Ghoul still didn't feel like talking about his past, and Party understood. It had been a couple years since he joined them, since he met Party, but he wanted to erase who he used to be, so he hadn't told him the whole story. Just that he grew up in the slums, and it was the worst place to live. 'But I've always dreamed of having my own family.'

Party noticed his sad eyes, and he just couldn't let that happen. 'Hey – don't cry please.' He placed a tender kiss on his lips. 'Look, we have a family now.' That only made Ghoul cry more, though they were happy tears.

***

Ghoul woke up to Grace crying in the middle of the night.

They had turned a crate into a crib for her, but Ghoul thought that she slept better between her dads. Fuck, he loved the sound of that.

'Shh, baby,' he said, still half asleep. But soon he realized why she was crying. 'You little, stinky demon! What the fuck!' He got up to look for an old shirt he didn't mind wasting, but they were all gone. Kobra Kid had already put all his stuff away from him and Party, and he didn't want to risk asking Jet Star because he was afraid he'd punch him again. 'Honey – Party –,' he tried wake up the red haired man, but nothing. 'Shit.'

Not knowing what to do, he grabbed the keys to the Trans Am and ran out. Obviously, Jet Star heard all the noise he made, and got up to ask where he was going. 'There's been an emergency!' Ghoul yelled on his way out.

'What the fuck?' He woke the others up. 'Guys! I think something happened. Ghoul just left yelling emergency and took the Trans Am.'

Both Party and Kobra got up immediately, confused. 'What?' Party said.

'What's that smell?' Kobra asked.

Just then Party remembered the crying baby in his bed. 'Oh! I get it. He went to get diapers.'

'Oh!' the other two said.

'Wait –,' Kobra said to his brother. 'You're wearing thongs?'

'What? They're comfy!'

***

Just like Party thought, Frank was at a convenience store that had just been raided by draculoids. They had heard Dr. Death Defying saying something about it before going to bed. The lights were still on, and there was soda spilled on the floor.

Ghoul went straight to the back where he knew he'd find the diapers and took them all, as well as a bottle of milk and whatever food he found, before walking back in the Trans Am.

When he made it back to the diner, they were all yelling at him. 'What? Grace needed diapers and none of you woke up!'

'Grace?' Kobra and Jet Star said in unison, and then gave each other a look.

'Yes, her name is Grace.'

Ghoul ignored them and went straight to changing her into a clean diaper. 'Aww look at you! So cute!'

Kobra and Jet Star were looking at him as if he was a stranger.

'Isn't he adorable?' Party said behind them.

'Seriously!' Kobra said. 'Just get married already!'

'We might. And you won't be invited.' He walked out because if he kept looking at Ghoul, he didn't know what he'd do, and he didn't want to ruin the moment he was having with Grace.

But just then, Ghoul joined him. 'Hey, you!' he said with a smirk. 'Don't think I forgot about you.' He gave Party a pack of cigarettes he took from the convenience store.

'For me?! You're the best!' They kissed, and Party felt that wasn't helping his case.

'Can I have one, though?'

They smoked for a while, holding hands, staring at the empty highway in front of them. Looking at the starry sky. The future seemed so full of possibilities, and it felt like they were untouchable together.

Fun Ghoul still couldn't understand why the moment he met Party his life turned upside down and now everything was bright and good.

'So –,' he said out of nowhere. 'There's something I've been meaning to tell you for a while.'

Party got scared. Was this the moment he proposed?

'Now with Grace and everything – we're a little family.' He couldn't help smiling at the thought. 'I have to be honest with you, and tell you.'

Now Party was even more scared.

'My name is actually Frank. I'm from Battery City, more specifically, from the slums. And I –' He tried not to tear up, but he couldn't. Party reached for him and pulled him closer. 'I used to be a prostitute.'

Party didn't know what to say.

He couldn't judge him. He wasn't exactly a virgin or with the best values. It's not like he didn't use to sleep around either. Not to survive, but simply because. Back in the day, he would sleep with anyone who would let him, mainly to have fun, fuck around, have another body near him and not be alone. Those days were way behind, and now he could only think about Fun Ghoul. Frank.

Ghoul told him that it was the only way to make it there, that he had to do it with creepy old men what would beat him up. 'My mom left me when I was a kid, and I was raised by Pornodroids, and that was the only way –' He started crying again. 'This scar,' he said, rubbing his hand against his cheek. 'One of them did it when he wanted to cut my tongue off.'

'What the fuck?'

'It's okay. I'm fine now. I don't want to talk about it anymore, just you and Grace. Okay?'

'Okay.'

Then he just leaned in and kissed Party, pulling him closer and taking off his shirt, and nothing mattered anymore.