Heart Attack in Black Hair Dye

'So what's your story?' Party Poison asked, handing Frank a wet cloth.

Frank took it, puzzled by the kindness of these strangers. And Poison's face. He looked like an angel, even with all the dirt. Frank was sure that he'd died and gone to heaven because it was the only explanation for a heavenly creature like this guy saving his life. 'I –' Frank struggled to say, causing the other guy to smile at him.

'It's cool. You don't have to tell me anything. I know you can't trust us yet. We really don't know each other.'

That was true. And yet, Frank felt safe here. 'I just –' he mumbled, trying not to break into tears. It had been a tough couple of days.

'Don't worry,' Poison said. 'At least you're safe now. We'll take care of you.'

Frank wasn't sure how to take that. He wanted to melt into the guy and cry. Why was he being so nice to him? Frank could find a way to pay him. He opened his mouth to say something, but Poison interrupted him.

'Wait, let me get you something.' The red-haired boy walked over to the corner and started going through some boxes until he found a shirt. 'Here.'

'Thank you,' Frank said, his voice shaking as he took the clothes. 'You don't have to do this.'

'What? Of course, we do! That's what we're supposed to do. Help others.'

Frank just nodded, starting to unbutton his gray BLI-issued shirt, not thinking twice about the other guy in the room.

'Oh,' Poison said, going red and quickly turning around to give him some privacy. 'Sorry, I just –'

Frank looked up and saw his reaction, smiling a little, not sure why. 'It's okay,' he said once he had put the other shirt on. It was a little big on him, but it was sleeveless, exposing his arms, so it felt nice.

When Poison turned back around, he stopped on his track, noticing Frank's arms, all covered in tattoos. 'Nice tattoos.'

'Thank you,' Frank said, blushing. 'My friend gave them to me.' He couldn't help thinking of Blue, and all of his friends back in the slums. He was going to miss them.

'Aww! You seem sad!' Without any warning, Poison walked up to Frank and gave him a hug. 'It's going to be okay,' he assured him.

Frank didn't know why, but he believed him.

'We need to give you a name, No One. I'll think of something.'

***

That night, Frank couldn't sleep. He just lay in the blanket they set out for him in the corner of the room, looking up at the ceiling. Thinking about how his life had changed drastically in the last few days, yet he still had no idea what he was going to do or what's the point of anything. He was just happy that he didn't have to sleep with creepy old men to stay alive.

His thoughts were too loud, apparently, because now Party was awake too, and immediately went to sit next to him. 'Hey!'

'Hey –' Frank said.

'You can't sleep?' Frank shook his head. 'Me neither.'

There was a brief silence, clearly, neither of them knowing how to react or have a normal conversation. Frank wasn't used to life in the desert, exactly. It was too hot and quiet in here. He could hear each and every one of his thoughts. And having Poison around wasn't helping. 'Thanks for saving me,' he blurted out.

Poison turned to him, confused, before realizing what he was talking about. 'Oh – not a problem.' He stared at him for the longest time, and Frank's stomach did that funny thing it did whenever he was nervous. Poison got closer to him, only making it worse. 'Can I ask where you got that scar?' he asked, pointing at the scar on Frank's right cheek.