In the Dark and Out of Harm

It was him.

Frank had no idea how he remembered his name, but it was definitely him. That face was too beautiful to forget.

And even though his brain was still playing games on him, and all his memories were foggier than ever, he just needed to be with him. He still had no idea what feelings were, but an there was an overwhelming joy he couldn't ignore, and he felt like crying and running up to him.

But Bob stopped him.

'Shit, no!' he almost yelled, grabbing him by the arm. 'And don't cry. I don't want anyone to take you.'

'But –' Frank tried to say, but the tears were stronger than him.

'No!' Bob looked around to make sure no one was looking and there were no Draculoids around, or no one from BLI. 'I can go get him –'

Frank got more desperate, shaking his head. 'I want to see him, too –'

'I know, and you will. But I don't want to cause a scene and get everyone involved.' He turned to Frank, looking all small and fragile. In all his years of knowing him, he'd never looked so defeated, and he hated it. 'Look – you trust me, right?'

Frank nodded.

'Well – come with me.' Bob was just as nervous, clearly trying to come up with a plan on the spot, hoping he didn't get caught, because he knew they were in big trouble if he did. He pulled Frank by the arm, taking him to the mall parking lot, where there were several BLI cars parked by the entrance. Bob ran his ID card through the slot, and the car door opened. 'Wait here,' he said to Frank, and took something out of his back pocket to hand to Frank. A Scarecrow mask. 'Put this on. And don't take it off until I tell you to.'

The short man nodded, and got in the car, before putting the mask on. It was uncomfortable as hell, even though the fabric was designed to let him breathe through it. But maybe it was his anxiety.

It was definitely his anxiety.

He had trouble breathing, and his hands were sweaty. The space in the car was closing on him, and cold sweat was running down his face.

He was about to see Gerard again.

***

'Hey, you!' Party heard a voice far away, while he and Kobra were standing outside an old building, staring at the big screen displaying the BLI logo.

Whoever that was, they couldn't be talking to him. There was no way.

Still, he turned around. And to his surprise, he saw a blond Scarecrow running in his direction.

Shit.

They'd found them.

Shit, shit, shit.

'Let's go,' he said, pulling his brother's arm as he started running as fast as his legs allowed him to. He had no idea where to go, and he almost tripped on the sidewalk. And his body wasn't as strong as before, after his relapse and not being physically active, he was already getting tired. But he couldn't let them catch him.

Not when he was so close to Frank.

Fuck.

'You're not going to get me, motherfucker,' he said, turning right on an alley, and only turning around to check if Kobra was behind him.

To be honest, it felt like the old days. Running away from them, finding places to hide. And it was exciting. He only wished Frank was there with him.