024

┏━━━━━━༻❁༺━━━━━━┓

𝗣𝗘𝗥𝗙𝗘𝗖𝗧 𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗠𝗢𝗡𝗬

chapter twenty-four:breaking free !

breaking free !

┗━━━━━━༻❁༺━━━━━━┛

ATHENA WAS ALL over the place. Ricky and EJ's sudden switch brought a wave of confusion to the whole cast, and now Carlos was meant to play Chad (which Athena had a feeling wouldn't work too well.) She currently sat at a mirror in the bomb shelter backstage, her face in her hands while Violetta stood behind her, trying to make her feel better.

"He's going to be okay, Athena," Violetta insisted, rubbing her back softly.

Athena picked her face up out of her hands and looked up at her best friend. "You didn't see him, Vi. The look on his face when he saw his mom with Todd . . . I've never seen him look so distraught. Not even this summer after his breakup with Nini. And the one time he might need me the most I'm not there for him."

"That's not your fault, you still have a part to play in this show. I'm sure Ricky understands that."

"I don't know . . ." Athena trailed off with a sigh. "Violetta, this whole girlfriend thing is new to me. And me letting him just deal with this alone . . . I don't think that's what a good girlfriend is supposed to do."

Violetta put her hands on her shoulders. "Athena, listen to me. You are doing absolutely everything you can right now. Please don't beat yourself up. And you are an amazing girlfriend. I promise you can talk to him after the show is over, but right now, you have to be Kelsi."

Athena's phone screen then lit up. She looked at it to see it was a text from Ricky. He had sent her nothing but I love you, good luck. A small smile stretched across her face and butterflies fluttered throughout her stomach as she sent back I love you too with a red heart.

"Okay, Athena," Natalie called out, peeking her head into the room. Athena looked up from her phone. "It's time for Wondering. You have to get to the piano."

Violetta squeezed Athena's shoulder as she stood up. "Go kill it out there."

Athena sent her a single nod. She took a deep breath and left her phone behind in the bomb shelter as she walked out to the orchestra section. Athena smiled in greeting at all of the musicians before taking a seat at the piano bench. She stretched her fingers out in front of her and organized her sheet music for Wondering in front of her. Big Red dimmed the lights, and the scene began.