71.] Ellie x OC - ❝With death comes not despair, but hope and rebirth.❞

[Just watched Bungo Stray Dogs, so some of it might leak into here!]

TAKES PLACE AFTER VALIANT HERO

Requested by -The_Unquiet_One770 , tysm :>

(After the death of Charles, Max is devastated by the death of his brother, and leaves everything behind to see his grave. Ellie encounters him while his mourning his brother's death, and tries to comfort him. 1st POV for Max, Very angsty. Warning, this chapter deals with loss in a serious way. Hope you enjoy!)

✥﹤┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈﹥✥

   I ran with all my might. I used all of my strength just to bring myself to his side.

   My brother is gone. My brother is gone. My brother is gone!

   Those words kept chanting within my head as I ran on the wet grass and mud, dirtying my shoes as I kept my mind focused on seeing my brother.

   He was my closest family member. He was my closest friend. Why did he have to go and act like a hero?! Just why?!?

   As soon as I reached the location of his tombstone, I fell right onto the dirtied ground face-first in exhaustion, and my tears began to drip even faster. I was exhausted, tired to the bone. I felt like I was gonna faint any minute... But I was still awake. I don't know why, but I just was.

   As I continued to cry in front of my fallen brother's grave, a man's voice from afar was yelling in pain. He was yelling the exact same thoughts of my own... But then I recognized that the pained, despairing voice was my own, calling for my brother to return.

   I missed my brother. I missed him so very much.

   The walls were closing in, it felt like the hope and happiness I felt before was beginning to falter, and become sadness and despair.

   But then, a pink beacon of light appeared.

  "Max!" A voice I recognized all too well. Of all the times she'd appear, I'm thankful she appeared now.

   As much as I'd like for her not to see the usual happy-go-lucky me break down into a pile of despair, I just needed some comfort right now.

   Anything or anyone.

  "Max! Max! Are you okay?! What's wrong?!" She ran to my side and lifted my head, and she saw my tear-blotted face, filled with complete sadness. She then averted her eyes to the gravestone, and her eyes became saddened as well. "Max... I... I'm so sorry..."

  "Ellie... It's okay..." I lied through my teeth, weakly raising my hand up to push her way. I don't know why I was doing this. I needed her, and yet... "I'm... fine..."

  "No you're not!" She shouted back, grabbing the weary, weak hand that tried to push her away. "...I know, it's painful to deal with a close one's death... So please, listen to me before you try something drastic..."

   She raised my hand up to her collarbone and held it close, almost as if it were some beloved toy. Even then, my tears would not stop falling, despite my face growing pink.

 Even then, my tears would not stop falling, despite my face growing pink

(Imagine the scene like this ^)

  "With death comes not despair, but hope and rebirth..." She whispered to me. "... I have just recently experienced the death of my brother, Jacob. But that doesn't mean I won't stop fighting and thinking about him. Even if he did hate me for all the criminal deeds I've done."

  "Max... Please. I beg for you to keep smiling, keep your brother in mind, know that he will be watching, and he's happy for you. Never forget him," Her eyes slowly opened, and made contact with mine. All that she was saying began echoing in my mind. The tears began to falter. "Max. Charles will always be there for you, as the same as my brother. So please... Let's fight for both of them, while they remain in our hearts."

   With complete impulse, my arms swung around her and hugged her tightly, I couldn't help but smile while cheeks burned. I don't know why, but I felt my happiness return. The despair I felt before was nothing more than a memory.

   I miss my brother. He was a hero. But he's still there. Not physically, but I know that he's there.

   And I know that Ellie will always be the one that I love.

  "Thank you," My body began to grow more tired by the minute, but I was fine with it. At least I get to fall asleep with her around, and my brother's spirit. "I love you, Ellie."

  "Max... I-I... w-wait, are you falling asleep-?!"

   That day, dreamed a vivid, colorful dream. Where I dreamed of Ellie and I getting married, it was embarrassing, but I felt like I was the happiest there. I saw my friends, my family, and my brother

   He smiled and said:

  "Make sure to smile, you big cry-baby!"

✥﹤┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈﹥✥

I'm sorry if it feels rushed or is cringy! I wanted to try my hand at someone dealing with loss in first-person again. 855 words, hope you enjoyed!