Chapter 17

- - - -

[Oikawa]

"Didn't you say you were only there to like, I don't know-um, talk? And not ask him on a fricking date?" Oikawa blurted as he received the volleyball that was rushing towards him. "And chill out! Stop abusing the volleyball!"

Iwaizumi took a deep breath. "Hey- I had expected you to be the one who was going to ask him!"

Oikawa raises his brow, "oh really?"

Iwaizumi picked another ball from the cart and threw it up, ran towards it, and hit it-

Just to have the ball hit the net and fall back onto his side.

"Angry much?" Oikawa mumbled under his breath and sighed. "Chill out!"

Iwaizumi picked up another ball and tossed it up, then did a simple upper hand that Oikawa easily received. "See? Calm down."

The brunette flinched as Iwaizumi threw him a creepy stare. "Okay, so we lost against Shiratorizawa yesterday, then you randomly get all on the idea of giving Tobio his jacket early in the morning, right? And now what has happened? We basically indirectly asked him on a date!"

"Iwa-chan~ just throw-or toss, run, jump, and hit--and scratch the 'we,' you were the one who did so," Oikawa said, calmly standing up.

He quickly turned and spotted Hanamaki and Matsukawa observing them from the side; while Kindaichi and Kunimi were staring at them from the door that led to the back.

"And what exactly are you looking at?" Oikawa folded his arms and looked around the gym; ironically enough, the second years had been on a day off; Coach, who seemed to be busy in many meetings. And their manager had called in sick.

There was a pause before both sides blurted.

"King got a date?!"
"Iwaizumi asked someone out?!"

Oikawa slumped his shoulders and facepalmed himself.

"Shut it," Iwaizumi mumbled looking away as Hanamaki and Matsukawa patted him on the shoulder.

"Oikawa-san. . . can we talk to you for a moment?" Kunimi asked, walking up to Oikawa, not failing to surprise the brunette that Kunimi had walked over here with his own will.

"Sure? I'm listening, go on," Oikawa straightened his back and smiled.

"No. . . I mean outside the gym," Kunimi fiddled a bit with the hem of his shirt-a manner that Oikawa had observed him doing whenever he struggled to speak things in his way or felt discontent with the provided.

"Um. . . The gym is practically empty, you can talk," Oikawa raised his brow and looked down at Kunimi fidget with his fingers and clasp a bit tighter onto his shirt.

Kunimi looked up and stare into Oikawa's eyes, making the brunette flinch a bit, "please?"

Oikawa let out a sigh and let the first year lead him outside. The day had brought many surprises, this being the most surprising of them all. He stepped outside and let the breeze blow at his bangs, causing them to fall onto his face rather than his usual side partition.

"What's up?" He asked, trying to sound his usual cheery way rather than a young teenager who was going on a date for the first time-his first date. . . he'd rather not speak about.

Kunimi and Kindaichi eyed him as if they expected him to know rather than them. An unusual silence rang between the first years and the third year, only the soft 'whooing' of the wind and some students taking off on cycles. It was hard to tell whether the youngers were studying the older, or the older was studying the younger.