Chapter 22 Confide

"So you've known each other since you were young?" Ye An asked as the four of them trudged along the cobblestoned pathway towards the palace.

Ah Lin stretched his neck forward over Xi Chen who was walking in between them to look at the emperor as he answered. "Yes, we were the two runts of the military." He then turned his attention to Xi Chen. "And now look at how well little Xi Chen grew." Ah Lin said as he gave Xi Chen's back a good-natured slap.

"Runts?" Ye An asked questioningly.

Ah Lin took a few large steps and turned to face the group as he walked backward with his hands crossed leisurely behind his head. "Yup! We were the youngest in the troop when we first entered the military. And both of us had the smallest stature. So we were always paired together for everything, especially sparring."

"Yes, I remember how competitive you were back then. And ruthless too." Xi Chen rolled his eyes at Ah Lin. It was the first time Ye An saw this side of the lieutenant.

"Yes, I managed to break his ribs countless times." Ah Lin told Ye An with his chest puffed up in pride. "But hey, it probably contributed to his growth spurt by spurring his body's repair mechanism more times than it needed to be spurred. Now he's literally a giant." Ah Lin patted on Xi Chen's arm in exaggerated paternal fondness.

Xi Chen gave an exasperated smile and shook his head. "As if. Don't take credit for what was the result of my genetics. And you forgot to mention that I also managed to break your nose into a million pieces.

"Well, now. It was one clean break. Not a million pieces. Don't you ever doubt the accuracy of your punches, my brother. And I quite like the rugged look my slightly crooked nose gives me. So it seems like I should be thanking you for the upgrade." Ah Lin bowed to Xi Chen playfully before turning to Sze Chang who was striding quietly on the other side of the emperor during the entire exchange. "So, Chang. Where are you from and what do you do?"

"I'm the Minister of Foreign Affairs and I lived in the Temple of Ninety-Nine Blessings before moving to the capital about a year ago." Sze Chang answered politely, losing his own playful exuberance in the presence of Ah Lin's much rowdier spirit.

"Ohh.. Interesting. A foreign minister who lived in isolation his entire life?" Ah Lin mused. "Well if that isn't the plot of a great story, I don't know what is."

"I assure you, it's nothing remarkable." Sze Chang laughed, as he slowly thawed under Ah Lin's attention.

"Is it?" Ah Lin raised an eyebrow at him.

Sze Chang smiled. "Yes, it is."

"So how is life at the temple? Do you need to shave your head while you're there? Are you a monk who needs to abstain from everything sinful?" Ah Lin raised both his eyebrows playfully at Sze Chang.

"Ah Lin!" Xi Chen reprimanded the captain. "You shouldn't speak that way to the people you've just met."

"It's alright, Lieutenant Yun. At least he's honest about his curiosity." Sze Chang laughed before he continued. "Well, I only lived at the temple because my dad was the keeper of the grounds there. So he was the one who would do all the repairs that needed to be done and go to town for the food that the monks couldn't scavenge, plant, or produce themselves."