Chapter 36 Morning Market

Xi Chen shook his head. The fond smile on his face was an expression that was only exclusive to big brothers as they watched their younger sibling's antics. Sze Chang, on the other hand, couldn't take his eyes off of Ah Lin for another reason.

"Let's go, gentlemen." Ye An said as she entered the chariot, leaving the rest at her heels.

"So, Adlai. I assume that this is your first time here. How do you find the capital?" Ye An asked Prince Adlai once they were all settled in the coach and on their way to explore the capital, starting from the morning market that was located on the east side of the city square.

"Uh, yes. It's a very busy place. And the buildings here are all closely packed, whereas everything is far apart in the North. So, it's slightly cramped compared to what I'm used to but I like how lively it feels." Prince Adlai smiled as Sze Chang translated his answer.

"Yes, I've heard of the vast space in the North. There are a lot of open woods and fields there, isn't it?" Ye An continued asking with Xi Chen and Ah Lin listening in on their conversation with pure intrigue.

"Yes, it's very difficult to hide when you're in the North. But it's good practice for hunting because your prey could see you no matter the direction that you come from." Prince Adlai replied.

Something clicked into place in Ye An's mind when Prince Adlai mentioned hunting. "Hold on. Aren't you the Northerner I met during the Annual Hunt?"

"Yes." Prince Adlai nodded calmly.

Ye An turned to Xi Chen. "Did you know?"

"Yes, you didn't?" Xi Chen raised an eyebrow out of habit but it somehow looked like a challenge to Ye An and managed to make her feel offended.

"I was sick at the time." Ye An tried to play down the sudden embarrassment that she felt before

facing Prince Adlai. "My apologies for not recognizing you, Adlai."

"It's no problem." Prince Adlai replied gracefully.

Ah Lin hid his mischievous snicker by turning his face away from the group and towards the scene outside.

While they were conversing, the chariot had already pulled into the main entrance of the market. This was one of the two morning markets that were run in the capital throughout the year no matter rain or shine. Just like every other market in this city, the stalls were assembled daily before operating hours and taken down afterwards. The morning market on the west side of the city square only sold raw wet ingredients that ranged from vegetables to fishes and meat products; while the morning market on the east side that they had arrived on housed vendors who sold piping hot breakfasts, dry groceries, and other household items.

It was already mid-morning and their senses were instantly bombarded by the sight, smell, and sound when they finally got off the chariot. Vendors were yelling at the top of their lungs to attract customers to their stalls, the smell of the different breakfast items mixed into a harmony of mouth-watering aroma, people dressed in clothes of various colors were wandering the streets lined with equally bright-colored stalls with their menu items and prices written on wooden signs. Most of the stalls were propped on carts with the spokes of the wooden wheel facing the street that was crowded with the market-goers.