Chapter 47 Unfurled

Ah Lin didn't know how he ended back in the kitchen, but he did. And he was now staring at the crackling firewood underneath the stone kitchen stove with utmost intensity.

Sze Chang passed by the kitchen and saw him. "What are you doing?"

Ah Lin, without even turning to look at Sze Chang, answered. "I'm trying to burn off the image now etched on my poor eyes."

That piqued Sze Chang's curiosity which made him enter the kitchen. "Huh? What image?"

Ah Lin finally took his eyes off the fire and turned to face Chang. "Do you think it's possible for two men to be in love?"

Sze Chang choked on his own breath before composing himself. "Well, love is love."

Ah Lin narrowed his eyes. "Chang.. Have you loved a man before?"

Sze Chang avoided eye contact.

"You have!" As always, Ah Lin's excitement instantly went through the roof when he sensed anything scandalous. He shot up into a stand and starting to crowd on Sze Chang.

"N-no." Sze Chang stammered as he avoided Ah Lin. However, his brain stopped functioning due to the sudden jitters in his nerves and he somehow ended being farther away from the entrance as he backed away from Ah Lin.

Ah Lin's narrowed eyes slanted even more as he slowly cornered Sze Chang until the latter's back touched the frame of the only opened window in the kitchen. Even the cool wind couldn't cool the back of Sze Chang's neck as heat rose from his rapidly beating heart. Ah Lin planted both of his hands on the window frame on either side of Sze Chang, successfully caging the young minister in as he looked imploringly into his eyes.

Through narrowed eyes, Ah Lin declared, "You might not know this because I'm such a humble person but I'm one of the northern troop's best interrogators. I could see into people's souls through their eyes. Don't even think about lying to me."

Sze Chang's eyelashes fluttered like a deer caught in a difficult situation. Ah Lin's heart suddenly tightened. "You have really pretty eyes.. But why do they look so sad?"

Sze Chang's eyes widened more.

At that moment, Prince Adlai stepped into the kitchen. Sze Chang quickly pushed Ah Lin away and straightened his clothes.

"Oh. Um. Sorry. I was hungry. Thought I'd drop by the kitchen to see if there's anything I could eat. I didn't mean to interrupt. You guys go ahead." Prince Adlai nervously apologized and turned to leave.

Before Prince Adlai could leave, a red-faced Ah Lin grabbed him in a hurry. "It's not what you think!"

Prince Adlai turned to look at both Ah Lin and Sze Chang. "Don't be embarrassed. It's perfectly common in the North for men to swear eternal partnerships."