Chapter 24 The Hunt

A forest dense with the chorus of animals loomed over the river where the Dragon Boat competition was held earlier. This forest was where the Annual Hunt took place year after year. On the edge of the forest, tents were erected for each of the families that were participating as a place for them to prepare for the event.

Out of all the tents that were on the tent site, the royal tent stood out in size and grandeur. In contrast to the common fabric used on the other tents, the royal tent was exquisitely draped with golden-colored silk that had a slightly muted shine which only served to further elevate its appearance. The entrance was a flap of cloth that was cut out of the same lavish fabric but with a majestic dragon emblem embroidered over it.

Inside the royal tent, a variety of hunting weapons were laid out on their respective weapon racks that fitted lushly against the wall on one side of the tent. On another side, the grand eunuch was preparing some tea at a small table. However, the main focal point of the tent interior was a mahogany table that was placed right in the center of the tent which Ye An was currently seated at while she flipped through the documents that she had ordered to be brought out of the palace, not wanting to waste any spare time that she had.

"Lieutenant Yun, I think the hunt would be starting soon. Could you ask one of your men to bring my horse around?" Ye An asked the lieutenant without taking her eyes away from the document that she was reading.

A temporary stable was constructed at the far side of the tent site. All of the horses for those who would be participating in the Annual Hunt were placed there to keep the sound and smell away from the tents. Even the emperor's horse was temporarily housed in the shared stable.

Xi Chen bowed before apologizing. "I'm afraid that I don't have any men to spare. They are either busy patrolling the compound or conducting last-minute checks in the forest in case anything was missed during the security sweep earlier. Why don't I get your horse, Your Imperial Majesty? Since I need to get mine anyway."

Ye An finally put down the document she was holding. "Hmm.. Then could you bring my horse around, Lieutenant Yun?"

Xi Chen nodded. With the guards patrolling the area, it should be fine for him to step out for a while.

Only moments after Xi Chen had left to get the horses, Sze Chang popped his head into the tent.

"Minister Sze! What a surprise!" Ye An exclaimed.

"Your Imperial Majesty, I was just passing by and thought that I'd drop by to wish you luck!" Sze Chang said cheerfully, his apprehension from the night before long gone.

"Come in!" Ye An invited. "Pour some tea for Minister Sze." Ye An ordered the grand eunuch.

"Yes, Your Imperial Majesty." The grand eunuch replied before promptly pouring a cup of tea for Sze Chang.

"Come, sit." Ye An told the young minister, waving to the seat opposite her.

"Thank you, Your Imperial Majesty. Where's Lieutenant Yun? I thought that he would be with you." Sze Chang asked inquisitively.