Chapter 37 Decision

"O-Oh, it's probably the sun." Xi Chen was flustered at Prince Adlai's query.

"Is the sun that hot?" Ye An looked to the sun questioningly. It was already autumn and she could barely feel the heat of the sun.

"The rays are pretty bad even if you can't feel the heat." Xi Chen explained clumsily.

"Really?" Ye An shrugged. "Well, let's go somewhere indoors then. A place where Adlai can have a proper breakfast as well. Adlai, I assume that you haven't eaten yet, am I right?"

Prince Adlai nodded.

"Then, I'll bring you to the best porridge restaurant in the capital." Ye An declared.

Prince Adlai paid for a book of bound paper and a self-inking brush before they headed to the restaurant.

Ye An led both of the men to the quieter area of the market as she spoke to Xi Chen. "Lieutenant Yun, do you remember the porridge that I bought for us from before? This is the place I got it from. I hope you're already accustomed to the local taste bud by now."

Xi Chen nodded and replied. "No worries, I think that I've somewhat gotten used to the food here. But, the more important thing now is whether Prince Adlai would like it. I remember thinking that it's really bland when I first tasted it. It would be even more so for a Northerner."

Prince Adlai pulled his notebook and self-inking brush out. "Don't worry about me. I'm open to trying it. Besides, I'm not really picky with food. Food is scarce in the North, so we just eat whatever we can. Also, please just call me Adlai, Lieutenant Yun."

"Ah, alright, Adlai. Then, please just call me Xi Chen. My apologies for making assumptions. I hope that I didn't offend you."

Prince Adlai shook his head graciously. "Don't worry about it. I know that you were only thinking about me."

"Ah, here we are." Ye An announced as they arrived at the restaurant. "And don't worry. There's actually a variety of condiments to add to the porridge and I believe one of them is chili oil. The owner is actually from the northern region. I just prefer to eat porridge without any condiments. That's why the porridge I bought the other day didn't have any. But both of you could add them if you want."

"Ah, my lord!" The stout restaurant owner shuffled to the entrance when he spotted Ye An. His pudgy red face gleamed at the sight of her. "And you brought some friends!"

The porridge restaurant was small and cozy. The interior of the one-story building was lined with dark oak. Even the furniture was of the same shade of dark wood. The floor of the restaurant was cobblestoned similar to the pavement outside but with less dust and dirt, indicating that care was given to ensure that cleanliness was maintained. The radiant morning sunlight that was shining on the three of them only moments ago dimmed as they stepped into the room that was lit with the warm light of flickering candles.

"Yes, thought I'd bring them to the best porridge restaurant in the capital." Ye An smiled at the restaurant owner.