Chapter 50 Funeral

The next day when Ye An woke up, there was an unspoken heaviness in the air. She took a deep breath as she stared at the ceiling, wishing that she was somewhere else but here, wishing that time would stop or even turn back. However, life didn't work that way. She let go of the breath that she was holding and got up.

Servants were already on standby at the foot of her bed. They tended to Ye An immediately when they noticed that she was awake and started dressing her in white mourning clothes. A humble off-white inner robe made of rough cotton was draped over Ye An, followed by a seamless coarse hemp outer robe which was cut to fit exactly to her body. A cloth crown made of the same hemp material was secured over Ye An's head with an equally brusque rope. Ye An suddenly remembered one of the many etiquette lessons she was required to take as a child. There was one lesson that was on funerals and the etiquette tutor who was assigned to Ye An at the time had explained how the coarseness and the rough cuts of the mourning clothes symbolized the wearer's grief. Ye An let out a bitter laugh. She couldn't believe that she remembered such a minute detail at this time.

Once she was fully dressed, Ye An stepped out into the courtyard and was greeted by Xi Chen who also had mourning clothes on. "Your Imperial Majesty."

Ye An only nodded before heading to the prayer hall with Xi Chen and a few other servants trailing behind her. The monks had already been offering prayers since their arrival the night before. Ye An could hear the solemn hum of prayers even before stepping into the hall.

She strode towards one of the cushions before the altar and kneeled to give her respects. Xi Chen followed suit on another cushion a few steps behind her.

Ye An had been avoiding from looking at the altar directly since she entered the prayer hall. When she finally lifted her eyes to look at it, her heart stopped as her eyes landed on the polished mahogany name plate. The name plate was placed behind the candles and incense burner, and had the Empress Mother's name carved on it.

Xi Chen could see the spasm in Ye An's cheek from behind as she gritted her teeth in a bid to rein in her emotions, knowing that the Empress Mother's body lay just inches behind the altar.

Ye An steeled her eyes so that no tears would fall. She knew that it would greatly displease the late Empress Mother if she ever cried in public. Ye An was now the only living symbol of the main imperial family and she could already see the late Empress Mother's disapproving frown if she were to ever show any sign of weakness in public.

Ye An blinked once. Then, twice. And proceeded to swallow the lump that was already at the top of her throat. She bowed three times, each time touching her forehead to the ground as the monks continued their chants.

Ye An then stood back up and left the hall without a second glance.

Outside the hall, servants were busy preparing palanquins for the Empress Mother's funeral procession. Members of the imperial family who passed away were buried amongst a cluster of hills and mountains towards the west of the Imperial Palace for generations. It would be a long five-day procession where servants would take turns carrying the palanquins as they travel to the imperial burial site on foot.

One palanquin that stood out from the rest was an exquisite palanquin that would be carrying the coffin of the late Empress Mother to her final resting place. Other palanquins were prepared to carry items to be buried alongside the late Empress Mother. The items they carried ranged from the items that one would use on a daily basis such as a washbasin and cutleries to paper servants and guards besides also not forgetting the late Empress Mother's favorite jewelry and makeup.