Chapter 35 Enkh

"Does Prince Adlai know that we're coming to get him?" Sze Chang asked when the three of them were in the chariot and well on their way to the inn.

"I already asked Ah Lin to relay the message this morning." Xi Chen replied.

"Oh? Captain Zhang is still here?" Sze Chang raised an eyebrow in mild surprise.

Ye An answered this time. "Yes, he'll be escorting Prince Adlai back once his stay here is over." To which Sze Chang merely nodded in acknowledgment.

Since the inn was only a street away, the chariot arrived at its destination in no time. When they arrived, they saw Ah Lin and Prince Adlai practicing martial arts on the front lawn of the inn. Ah Lin had the foreign prince hold a cushion out for him to use as a punching bag.

"Adlai, hold it up and out a little bit. Yes, yes. A liiiittle bit to the right. Yes. That's perfect." Ah Lin gave Prince Adlai a thumbs up and a wink before hitting at it without even attempting to soften his blows.

"Ah Lin! What are you doing?!" Xi Chen yelled in disbelief as he entered the front lawn. He couldn't begin to fathom how his friend had actually made the foreign royalty his personal martial arts assistant.

Ah Lin jumped at the sudden outburst and held a hand over his heart. "Goodness! Xi Chen, you scared me!"

"My apologies, Prince Adlai. My brother is a slow wit and doesn't understand social cues." Xi Chen apologized hurriedly on behalf of Ah Lin before turning to Sze Chang. "Minister Sze, could you help me translate my apology to Prince Adlai."

"Hey! No! Don't translate that!" Ah Lin pointed a finger at Sze Chang in a hurry to stop him and then turned to Xi Chen. "Who are you calling a slow wit, huh?"

While Ah Lin was bickering with Xi Chen, Prince Adlai spoke to Sze Chang in Northern. "I hope he's not being misunderstood. I was the one who wanted to join him because I didn't have much to do."

Sze Chang smiled. "I'll relay your message then, Prince Adlai."

"Please. Just call me Adlai. Even the Northerners only call me by my name."

"Of course, Adlai."

On the other hand, Ye An gave an exasperated sigh at being the one sandwiched between Ah Lin and Xi Chen. "Come on now. Break it off."

Ah Lin reluctantly stopped his verbal attacks on Xi Chen and Sze Chang took this window of opportunity to explain the situation.

"See! I saw him lingering when I was practicing and I just knew he wanted to join even if we don't speak the same language. Now, who's the slow wit?" Ah Lin glared at Xi Chen.

"Alright. I'm sorry." Xi Chen apologized.

Ah Lin grabbed Xi Chen in his signature headlock and cracked into a smile. "Fine, you're forgiven. One of the reasons I like you is that your apologies come quick."