Chapter 33 Gratitude

In the Mental Cultivation Hall, Ye An's lesson with Tutor Jiang proceeded as usual. Since the day she revealed her face to the entire court, Ye An also had the screen between her and the tutor removed. Therefore, Ye An's currently wavering focus was on full display.

Tutor Jiang put his book down and gracefully smoothed his greying beard. "Your Imperial Majesty, is everything alright? You seem to be slightly preoccupied today."

Snapping out of her reverie, Ye An felt embarrassed at being caught daydreaming by the middle-aged tutor. "My apologies, Tutor Jiang. It's nothing."

Tutor Jiang smiled kindly. "There's no need to apologize. Confucian texts can be a bit dry sometimes. I myself slept through numerous lessons when I was still a student."

Ye An gave out a small laughter of amusement. "You? Sleeping through lessons? I find that hard to believe."

Tutor Jiang's eyes crinkled. "Everyone has had a time when they were young and foolish."

"True." Ye An nodded.

Instead of picking his book up to continue their lesson, Tutor Jiang smiled kindly at Ye An. "Your Imperial Majesty, I'll gladly be your listener if you don't mind unburdening your heavy thoughts on this wrinkly old man."

Tutor Jiang had a youthful look that if it wasn't for the smattering of greys in his hair and beard, could have passed for being in his late thirties. Ye An laughed. "Tutor Jiang, you don't give enough credit for yourself. You're barely a wrinkly old man."

"Ah, but I'm an entire generation different from you. That alone is enough for me to feel old." Tutor Jiang smiled.

"You jest. Besides, your age might be the reason you are so wise."

"Thank you for the compliment, Your Imperial Majesty. But age isn't the only indicator of wisdom. It's the innate thoughtfulness that counts."

Tutor Jiang was the type of educator who thought that praise should be given when it's due and took this opportunity to praise the emperor. "Your Imperial Majesty, I have to let you know that seeing you strive to be the best ruler you could be for the common people would put my younger self to shame. When I was your age, I was still traveling about cluelessly."

Ye An smiled at Tutor Jiang's kind words. "Thank you for your reassurance, Tutor Jiang."

Tutor Jiang continued. "I believe that I'm also speaking for the commoners nationwide that we're grateful there won't be a war in the foreseeable future. That people could hold onto their loved ones and enjoy this peace for a little bit longer. There may come a day when war would be the only solution, but if we had more leaders who keep choosing the alternative when it is presented to them, it would benefit us all collectively. And I believe that you, despite your age, understood that."

"Well, that is certainly a great compliment coming from you, Tutor Jiang. Thank you." Ye An knew that Tutor Jiang was always tight-lipped with praises and compliments. To have received such compliments from such a person humbled Ye An, especially after that aggravating conversation with the Empress Mother earlier.