Chapter 46 Get Set

Xi Chen and Ah Lin talked for a while after Ah Lin voiced his suspicions about the foreign prince. It didn't take long until Ah Lin started yawning and headed to bed. When Ah Lin was sound asleep, Xi Chen stepped out of his room and stood by his door to process the information that he had gleaned. Even with his suspicion, Ah Lin also mentioned that he didn't sense any malice from the foreign prince. Therefore, Xi Chen knew that he needed to take that into account before planning his move.

As he was ruminating, Xi Chen began to ponder if Ye An was already in the Forbidden Garden. Sure enough, faint music started playing in the brisk air at the thought. Xi Chen wondered if Ye An had enough layers on her to keep herself warm. He crossed his arms as he leaned on the wall and closed his eyes. Even though the music was faint, Xi Chen could discern that this was a tune that he had never heard before. In contrast to the southern plains, the trees in the capital had all but lost their leaves. Even the ground had no traces of dried leaves left. Without the usual rustles of leaves and the chorus of insects and animals, the night breeze only carried the delicate sounds of Ye An's guqin.

As he listened to the music, Xi Chen could picture Ye An seated quietly at the stone table as her graceful fingers ran through the chords. Picturing this scene brought back memories of their first meeting. Xi Chen knew now that he had fallen for Ye An the moment he laid eyes on her and that brought a small smile on his lips.

Too soon, the music ended. Xi Chen straightened up from the wall and waited for Ye An to return. After a while, she entered the courtyard and they locked eyes for a brief moment. Ye An then primly nodded at Xi Chen before entering her own residence.

*******

The next morning, Ye An's routine continued as usual and she had her morning meal with Xi Chen and Prince Adlai after her morning reading session.

Their meal was filled with silence as all three of them were entrenched in their own thoughts. Xi Chen had always sat across Prince Adlai since the foreign prince started joining them for their meals. But he had never observed him as closely as he was right now.

Now that Xi Chen looked at him closely, Prince Adlai did seem to have something on his mind and the foreign prince could barely conceal his agitation. Xi Chen's thumb brushed over the mouth of his teacup thoughtfully.

Suddenly, there was an urgent knock at the door which snapped the three of them back into reality.

"Come in." Ye An ordered.

The grand eunuch entered in a hurry and informed. "Your Imperial Majesty, Prince Adlai.. Chieftain Burat was assassinated late last night."

"What?!" Prince Adlai stood up abruptly at the news and accidentally flipped his table and its contents over.

*******

Ye An quickened her footsteps as she arrived at the Empress Mother's residence with Xi Chen following closely behind her.

The Empress Mother's servants who were stationed outside barely had time to announce Ye An's arrival before she knocked at the door and entered the room. "Your Majesty, have you heard about Chieftain Burat?"