Chap 21; Count to ten

"Her life was filled with many gifts"

🌕🌖🌗🌘🌑🌒🌓🌔🌕

"Just close your eyes and count to ten"

Maryann placed her small hands in front of her eyes, closing out the rest of the world. She heard rustling around her, the dark office feeling weird and unsafe.

"This won't hurt a bit, just keep counting"

And so she felt it.

"So where is the rebellion?"

Cassy held out her hand for Maryann to take, all three of them packing up their last things. The elite school was already behind their backs, Maryann sitting in her mates apartment while they folded some shirts and polished their swords. In the human world, the lack of powers among the population meant that they didn't use swords or fight battles very often. But all the other supernatural dimensions used violence daily.

Maryann sighed and looked around the apartment, letting go of Cassy as she needed to pack up things in the bedroom. It was a small flat with three rooms, the walls decorated with ugly yellow wallpaper. The windows were broken at some places and the floor creaked as her mates stepped around on it. It smelled strongly of microwaved food from the neighboring apartment, and Maryann heard all of the human conversations through the thin walls. She had excellent hearing after all.

The apartment was quite a walk from the school, going from an elite area in the city to this terrible neighborhood. Occasionally Maryann heard arguments about everything from drug dealing to shoplifting. That was one thing that she found quite disgusting about this blue country. There was so much segregation between the rich and the poor. The middle class was small and the working class was huge, but they still had no power. It seemed like this country still had a lot of things in the need of fixing.

As a supernatural, Maryann never understood why they didn't just pick up their swords and fight against the government. But of course, things were different here than among powerful supernaturals. Humans didn't have magic or super strength or speed, they just had what they had.

Things were so different in the other dimensions, especially in the demon dimension. Even her own mates had their own swords.

Cassy wielded two swords made from demon crystal, a black metal that shone in either red or purple under light. It suited her quite well, as her swords both reflected the color of her blood red hair.

Vivy wielded the same sword type, but she only had one and it shone in a purple color. Demons and vampires often turned to weapons of hard crystal and metal to fight, while witches like Maryann liked to use their magic and their own physical strength. But now the young Moonwitch didn't have that much of her physical power, swinging her legs back and fourth even though it stung in her muscles. It was a bad habit of hers, the swinging of her legs when her feet couldn't reach the ground.

"The rebellions main building is in the shifter dimension, by the human world loophole. It's very beautiful there, with fresh forest and clean lakes. You can even see mountains from our bedroom window!"

Maryann smiled slightly at the thought of a beautiful and safe home. The human world could be beautiful too, but it was nowhere near as ethereal as the Moonwitch temple. She missed the smell of the summer flowers and the shine of the golden sun against the temples marble walls. In the Moonwitch dimension, marble was the most common building material, but in the human world it was extremely expensive.