Chap 39; Exit light

"The story of a Moonwitch and her mates"

🌕🌖🌗🌘🌑🌒🌓🌔🌕

It's first three days later, in the middle of the night, when Maryann senses her mates.

"In a magical meditation, you must do more than just sit still and close your eyes"

Dario looks over at his sister. For many days now he has gathered enough food to last them for awhile. It's mainly leaves, but it's enough to keep them alive. Maryann cooks the plants over the open fire into nutritious food, it keeps their stomachs full for a few short seconds, but it's worth it. By now the animals have given them space in the forest, barely daring to show their faces once in awhile. Maryann doesn't mind animals, but they can be distracting when she is trying to meditate.

As it has become apparent that they are going to stay in this forest for long, Maryann decided that she is going to start teaching Dario now. It's crucial that he learns the most basic things, especially since they are alone in the world without their mates. The longer he spends untrained, the longer his life is in danger. So Maryann instructed him how to sit properly in a mediating position and how to calm his body.

"You must focus on your magic, focus on your connection with the Goddess. Once you feel the waves of magic, you can take control and learn its patterns, get familiar with it"

Dario nods hesitantly. For the time that they have spent in this forest, the days have luckily been warm and sunny. But their clothes are muddy and ripped, mostly because of their time in the dungeon but also because of the muddy ground. Both of them are way skinner than usual, way more tired. The lack of food and warmth at night make sure they won't be leaving this place in a while. But Maryann can't stop wishing that her powers would magically recharge immediately. The more time she spends free, but apart from her mates the more anxious she gets.

It's almost as if it's worse to be imprisoned by your own lack of power, than someone else's might.

Maryann waits for Dario to get the hang of it. He's going to need hours of mediation before he's mastered it like her. It will take a lot of patience from him, but Maryann knows that he is up for the task. The amount of respect Dario has for Maryann makes the Moonwitch sure that he won't want to disappoint her in any way. After mediating for about two hours, Maryann decides to communicate with her moons instead. Her eyes glow in purple as she speaks with them.

"How much power do you three think we have today, I estimate two or three days until recharge"
Maryann says, snapping her three moons out of their mediation. Violet leans back in her soft cushioned chair while Eve sits up straight as always.

"Don't get so ahead of yourself. I estimate another week until we can teleport anywhere near the rebellion"
Eve says with a serious tone. Maryann bites her lip. She knows that her third moon is always right and makes the best assumptions, taking everything into calculation. She has probably thought about things like how they could be extremely far away from the rebellion, or the potential risk of meeting enemies after teleporting. Even though Maryann hasn't felt the pain of her mates deaths yet, she can't be sure that the battle at the rebellion went well. For all she knows they were overthrown and taken as prisoners, so the moment she teleports there she'll be imprisoned again.