Special chap 2; What I have

Far far away, in a distant reality, the story continues....

(Part two for special chapter 1; "what I want")

⚠️ Blood, murder, kidnapping, guns, driving over the speed-limit, mentions of sexual acts, death ⚠️

Scene 4
Something about the sun has always been a bit of a weird feeling for Maryann.

It shines through the clouds, it warms the ground and brings light to the people. It doesn't cost money to enjoy the sun, like most things do. There is no bill to pay. After worrying about money all her life, Maryann finds it a relief to have something stable that doesn't cost money. Something that she can afford without worrying.

But everything seems a little upside down. It's not, in fact, the morning sun that shines in her face. This sun is more red, this sun does not mark the beginning of a day, but the end. It's the sunset. Maryann hasn't even opened her eyes yet, and she can tell that it's sunset. She has never awoken to a sunset before, it feels odd. Fluttering her eyes open and closed, first then does Maryann realize how heavy her eyelids feel, and how much her head is thumping.

Dragging her hand up to her head, Maryann feels the soft and velvety covers underneath her palm. She doesn't remember her own bed being so... soft. She sleeps on a rough mattress and has a thin blanket over her body. Waking up in a cold and shuddering sweat, both because of the cold around her and the wetness of the apartment is quite a norm for her. But waking up surrounded by a strange amount of space and warmth, protected by thick and soft covers is not the norm. It's not normal. Something is weird.

Through the comfort, Maryann gets a strong feeling that something is very wrong. She wants to sit up immediately and look around herself, but everything feels so heavy. She can barely move her arms and legs, barely feel anything. She does not remember going to sleep, she only remembers waking up in the early morning and going to work. What happened after that is more than just a blur. It's completely lost, she remembers nothing. There are no shouts outside, this far no fights or gunshots, and not even any cars or birds. The room is completely quiet. Maryann almost grows panicked, wondering where she is and what is going on and what happened.

Somehow, after a few minutes of struggling, Maryann managed to open her eyes and look around with her blurry vision. She sees specks of gold and white, some fabric high up on the ceiling and her covers soft. A faint golden light seems to be coming from the windows, heavy silk curtains hanging from them. The fabric in the ceiling turns out to be a covering over the bed, made from golden see through fabric. The walls are white, the ceiling is high. It looks nothing like her gloomy and gray apartment, with a low roof and no curtains and wooden furniture. Everything here seems to be more expensive than her own life, everything is decorated with golden fabrics or marble. Maryann shrinks in on herself.

Slowly, memories from last night appear like short clips from a movie. None of them make sense.

She remembers hiding under a desk. She remembers being scared and possibly hearing heavy footsteps walking around. The dry tear stains on her face are more than enough proof that she was crying as well, but why? She remembers being somewhere dark and uncomfortable. She remembers feeling weak and helpless and lost. Someone approached her, she feared for her life. But what happened? Why is she here? Is she dead? Is this heaven? Maryann gets even more panicked as she thinks about all the possible reasons of her presence in this very expensive and luxurious bedroom.

"I think our little bunny is awake"

Maryann hears a taunting yet whispering voice coming somewhere from the room. She doesn't have the strength to sit up and see who it is, but the voice is all too familiar. Clamping her mouth shut Maryann tries to make herself as small as possible, hopes that it's just a nightmare and it will soon be over. She feels ever so small and helpless at the odd nickname coming from the woman's mouth. It sounds so sweet but on the same time it's clearly mocking. Maryann doesn't know what to think, or if to think at all.