I Want You Back

Requested by Day_N_Nite 😘

{1971}

You were tidying up your room because it was simply a mess. It's been a week since you last said you were gonna clean it, so you figured let's just do it now and get it over with. 

Putting on one of your favorite songs by the Jackson 5, "I Want You Back," on your record player helped the cleaning process go by just a bit quicker.

As you were picking up clothes, books, and a bunch of other random objects off the floor, you started humming along to the song.

The humming soon turned into singing.

Your lovely voice paired with the Jackson 5's lead singer, Michael's, filled up the room with a great tune.

The sun emerged through your big bay window, making you feel surrounded by nothing but good vibes.

A content smile adorns your face as you peer out your window into your backyard and sing.

You twirled around your bedroom, slipping off into another world as the music embraced you in a hug.

A small knock was placed on your door, but because of the vociferous music and your singing, it couldn't be heard.

The knocker stood there for a while, thinking you'd answer the door soon. But you never did and 2 minutes had passed already. He wanted to be respectful, so he peeked just a little bit into the room to make sure he wasn't interrupting anything. He saw that you were walking around your room cleaning, so he welcomed himself into the room. He figured you wouldn't mind.

And he heard his music being played, so he wanted to explore what was going on in here.

He leaned against a wall and folded his arms over his chest, watching you with amusement. Not in a way where he'd be laughing at you, but in an admirable way.

He thought you had a beautiful voice.

You were folding covers, still not noticing the boy in your room. Until you turned around.

Your merry mood dropped and embarrassment and humiliation quickly took its place.

"Michael!!" you shouted before briskly turning down the record player. "When did you get in here?!"

He chuckled. "Just a few seconds ago. I thought I'd stop by."

"Ever heard of knocking?" you asked with irritation.

"I did! I knocked but you didn't answer! Music was too loud I guess."

You frowned and plopped onto your bed. "That's embarrassing," you muttered.

"Don't be embarrassed. You have an amazing voice," Michael smiled.

"Really?" you questioned.

"Yeah!" 

Michael went over to the record player and turned it back up again. He started singing in hopes of having you join in.

He was holding an air microphone, mouthing the words. He pointed to you as he sang and winked.

You blushed and bashfully joined him. You sang along as you put away the last few items in your room.

You started to really pay attention to the beat and harmony of the song and took a moment to really appreciate this art. This song is really iconic. You were certain this song would never get old. Even like 50 years from now. You were now observing Michael as he began to look around your room.

"Wow, your room looks great," he stated.

"Thanks. It had gotten pretty messy. I'm glad I cleaned it. You and your brothers helped me in the process."

Mike gave you a smile that made the room light up even more.

"That makes me happy. Ya know? That our songs can make people feel good. That's my goal with my music. I wanna make the world happy. And I don't sing it if I don't mean it."

"You're so cool Michael," you gushed. "How'd I ever become friends with someone as out of this world as you?"

"I ask myself the same thing about you."

You both laugh.

"Ooh, wanna go to the park?" Michael asked.

"Sure! C'mon."

You turned off the record player and the two of you were on your way.