Snow Day

{1969}

The howls of our laughter twirled through the cold, winter air as Jermaine jumped on top of Tito in a snow wrestling contest.

Mike called me over to hang out today since he and his brothers got the day off from rehearsal.

Very discreetly as everyone was distracted, I gathered up a ball of snow and threw it right at Marlon's head while he wasn't looking.

"SNOWBALL FIGHT!!" He screamed.

Everyone scrambled to grab a ball of snow to throw at someone.

As I bent down, I felt a snowball hit my back.

I turned my head real fast. "Who threw that?"

Michael laughed and threw another snowball my way. But I dodged it.

The boys erupted into 'OHHHS' as Michael and I started lodging snowballs at each other.

One hit me right in the face. "I'm gonna kill you Michael!" I roared with laughter.

I ran as fast as my legs could go. And once Michael was in reach, I pounced on his back. Both of us on the ground.

We snatched the snow off the ground and started throwing it at each other again.

The boys joined in too.

Mrs. Jackson walked up to the door and crossed her arms, watching us with amusement. "I made hot chocolate for you all if you'd like to come in," she announced.

I jumped off the ground as soon as I heard hot chocolate. Holding out my hand for Michael to grab, he took hold of it. Only to yank me back onto the ground.

"Seriously Mike?" I chuckled as I hit his arm.

"Okay, for real this time," he smiled as he put his hand out.

I took it and stood up. "Thank you, kind sir," I curtseyed.

"Don't mention it m'lady," he bowed.

We laughed.

"Race you inside!" I screamed.

"Hey! Wait up!" 

_______________

I sighed with content as I removed the hot mug from my lips. 

Hot chocolate will solve all your problems.

Michael and I sat in a comfortable silence as we glanced at the snowflakes descend from the window every once in a while and listened to the clatter of the kitchen.

My eyes wandered around as he stared intently at the jumbo marshmallows slowly dissolving in his cup.

Looking over into the living room, I spot Jermaine trying to warm himself up with the covers wrapped around him. That gave me an idea.

"Hey Mike, let's make a fort!" I smile.

_______________

"Hand me that pillow over there." 

I threw the pillow right at Mike's face.

"Gee thanks."

I giggled at the look he gave me. "No problem."

We finally completed the fort and climbed inside.

I was about to ask the boys if they'd like to join us but we noticed that Tito and Marlon interrupted into a fight on who was supposed to choose the channel. Jermaine was standing there looking lost, while Jackie desperately tried to stop the fighting.

Michael rolled his eyes and I just smiled at their brotherly antics.

 I placed my head on one of the pillows inside the fort. A tired yawn escaping my mouth. He does the same and lays down in his stomach.

We sit in tranquility and enjoy viewing the snow cascade to the ground outside. Seeing the cold and bitterness outside makes me shiver and I clutch onto the blankets for more warmth. Even though I do like this type of weather, I very much prefer the snug and toasty feeling of the Jackson home.

"I'm glad you could come over today. We don't get to hang out much like before," Michael admitted.

"Yeah, it's true. But I'm glad I could hang with you too."

Michael grinned and took hold of my hand.