Nighttime.

{1970}

I stared upwards at the showerhead that hovered above me. Its high placement on the wall making me feel tiny compared to its height. The sizzling water that shot down from its many openings tickled my skin while it rained down. I carried on with washing myself up, noticing how my feet, lower legs, and hands felt numb to the hotness of the water. It felt lukewarm to those areas. My back, however, was not used to the rather hot temperature. But the feel of the water felt good.

After my shower was complete, I went over to my sink and brushed my teeth and washed my face.

As I was removing any unwanted water droplets from my face, I paid attention to the beautiful night sky that I had an amazing view of outside of my bathroom window. The full moon that sat in an almost jet black sky shimmered over the peaceful neighborhood. I also noticed that almost no house lights were on. Not surprising since it was around 11 pm. Everyone must be asleep.

I finished up and flipped the bathroom light switch off on my way out. I must say, I do feel really refreshed.

Walking back to my cozy bedroom, a sad sigh escapes my lips as my mind drifts to him.

Mike. My best friend. He hasn't had a break from work for about 2 weeks now. He's in the Jackson 5, so it's expected that he isn't always free to hang out. Which I understand.

I just miss him that's all.

I grab a book that I was currently reading. I was halfway through chapter 4 when I heard something strange at my bedroom window. Almost like a rock or something was thrown at it. I quickly close the book and try to see if I hear it again, just to make sure I'm not trippin..

Whack!

There is it again! I get off my bed and slowly go up to my window. I look around at what I can see from this angle and I could kinda see what looked like a person.

I could definitely make out an afro, thanks to the street lights. Which made my heart begin to beat with eagerness in hopes of the person being him. But I sorta doubt it.

Pulling up the window, I peer down. "Hello?!" I shout.

"Y/N! It's me Michael!" The recognizable voice called out.

I almost bounced up and down after hearing it was him. "Michael!" I yell, just loud enough for only him to hear. "It's great to see you! Come on up!"

He began to climb the huge, sturdy tree that grew along this side of the house that led up to my bedroom.

This is a pretty common thing we do. Sometimes after Michael is finally released from rehearsals, it's really late. So he waits for everyone to fall asleep at his house, then he sneaks over here.

Or sometimes I come over to his house.

Sneaky, I know, but we try to use any time we have to see each other.

. . .

And we just talked the night away, until it was time to wrap things up and get some sleep.