The Sleepover

{1972}

I pick up my duffle bag from off the ground and place it on my shoulder. After doing one last check around my room to see if I missed anything, my mom walks in.

"Got everything you need?" She asks from the doorframe.

"Yup. I got everything."

"Well, I'll be right down the street if you need anything," She says, giving me a hug and kiss.

"Alright," I reply.

She smiles. "Have fun." 

...

I'm greeted with that always cheerful smile of his. "You made it! Come on in," Michael beamed.

I sit my bags down and give him a big hug.

"Oh hi dear." Mrs. Jackson says.

"Hii." I walk over and give her a hug too. "Thanks for letting me come by!"

"Oh no problem dear. You're always welcome." She gives me one of her warm, motherly smiles.

"I'm going to let you guys do your thing. Just call me if you need anything."

I turned back to Michael who was standing there with his hands behind his back. Swinging back and forth on his feet.

"So what are we gonna do first?" I ask.

...

Not long after we began a game of truth or dare. With La Toya, Randy, Marlon, and Janet joining Michael and me.

"Marlon, truth or dare?" Michael asked him.

Marlon smirked and chose dare. Trying to be all bold.

"I wouldn't be smiling if I were you," Michael teased, making everyone laugh.

"Whatever Michael. Just give me the dare." 

"Crack an egg on your head."

"What?! Nooo!"

"I can make it two if you like," Michael gave him a grin.

"I'm good."

We all watched in amusement as Marlon had a sour expression on his face, slowly cracking the egg open.

The yolk oozes out of its shell and glides down into his brown afro.

"This is disgusting..." He pouts.

...

I choose truth, thinking that it was the safer option of the two.

But boy was I wrong..

"So Y/N, got any crushes?" La Toya asks.

Everyone started to oooh as they saw a small smile creep up onto my face.

"What? Noo.." 

My eyes shyly peered over at Michael who caught my gaze. "Anyways- the answer is no. Next question."

In the corner of my eye, I could see Michael smirking.

"Nah nahh. You got something to hide Y/N?" Marlon joked.

I laughed off the embarrassment. "Boy please."

...

Janet and Randy had gone off to bed. The clock on the wall read 1:13 am.

Marlon stood up in front of us. "Now with the little ones out of the way. It's time for some scary stuff!"

Oh no..

I wasn't a big fan of horror movies. Actually, I hated them. They scare me almost half to death.

"Anyone wanna back out? Here's your chance now.." Marlon said lowly.

Marlon looked at Michael, then La Toya, and then me.

He stared at me a little longer than the others, making me feel a bit awkward.

"I think she's scared."

"I am not!"

"I can tell. Stop lying," He smirks at me.

I rolled my eyes. "Let's just watch the movie or whatever."

"Wait! We gotta get the snacks," La Toya spoke up in her soft voice.

"Sure do," Michael chimed in.

...

We had grabbed some popcorn, M&Ms, sour gummy worms, pop, juice, and a bunch of other snacks and candy.

"You guys ready?" Michael asked.

"I hope so," said La Toya.

"Heck yeah," Marlon replied.

"Um..sure," I muttered.

We were about 20 minutes in and I was shaking. Literally. But not wanting to seem like a baby in front of them, I stayed seated.

But I think Michael noticed.

"You ok?" He whispered to me.

"Y-yeah."

I lied.

But the way he took notice of me made my heart flutter..

There was a scene where some girl got stabbed, which Marlon found hilarious. He started to crack up.

This boy-

"Marlon," La Toya spoke and shook her head, chuckling at her little brother.

"Marlon you're crazy," Michael laughed.

I found myself laughing a little too. Man, these guys always find a way to put a smile on my face.

...

We found ourselves getting tired. So we were all heading to bed.

After changing into my pajamas and doing my nightly routine. I walked into the other's rooms to say goodnight.

I went to Michael's room first. He wasn't in it though. Odd..

Just as I turned around, Michael jumps from the corner of the hallway in an attempt to scare me.

"Boo!!"

I leaped in surprise. That spooky movie from earlier must have really messed with me.

"Michael!" I whisper-shouted with a small laugh. "You scared me!"

He chuckled at my reaction. "I'm sorry Y/N. I'm just messin' with ya."

Marlon and La Toya then walk by, wishing us a good night before slipping away into their respective rooms.

We tell them goodnight as well.

Leaving just the two of us again.

"Well," he began. 

"Goodnight Y/N." 

He flashed one of his dashing smiles, making me stutter over my words.

"G-goodnight Michael."

Why am I acting so nervous around him all of a sudden?!

He turned around and disappeared into his room, which means I should probably get going too.