Prologue

It was with a heavy heart that Harriet opened her eyes. The space was white, and there was no sound. For the first time in her life, she felt peace. It was beautiful.

But beautiful things always come to an end.

"Hello Harri."

She turned her head and found herself looking into Avada Kedavra eyes, and knew she was looking at herself. He was taller than her, with the same unruly hair and lightening bolt scar upon his forehead.

She was beyond being surprised at this point and said simply, "Hello yourself, Harry."

Death smiled at her and said, "Isn't it interesting?"

Harri snorted and said, "Honestly? Nothing surprises me anymore. Having death greet me with a smile and my mother's eyes is a boon."

Harry laughed and said, "You know, I said the same thing!" We both laughed at that and when we calmed down, he said, "So. What now?"

I raised my eyebrow and said, "What do you mean? Aren't I supposed to go, you know... on?"

Harry shrugged and said, "It's up to you. You can go froward if you so wish. No one's stopping you."

I knew that tone of voice, and I sighed, "Well. You obviously have something else in mind."

Harry snickered and said, "You know? It's quite hard to hide from oneself."

I rolled my eyes, "Don't I know it. Now come on Harry... tell me."

Harry looked at me and said, "You can choose to go forward... but I have been oh so graciously told that you can go back."

I was surprised and said, "Go back? You mean..."

Harry nodded and said, "Yup. You're lucky. I wasn't given that option. But I thought. 'Hell, if not me, then why not... me?'"

I snickered and said, "That was bad." I then thought about it more and said, "And how far back? Because I don't think it'll work if I'm already under Dumble's thumb."

Harry looked hard for a moment then smoothed out his features, "Well. I could send you back to when you were a baby, but I don't think you could change anything in that time."

I thought some more and said, "Why not send me to the summer before my eleventh birthday." At Harry insistence, I continued, "I mean. I know where to go for everything, and I could get everything in order before the term starts. Strike out on my own or with someone I know I can trust as a magical guardian. I know I can get the goblins to at least listen."

Harry nodded and said, "If that's what you wish."

I shrugged and said, "I think that's my best option at this moment. I know it'll be hard, and that means that things will go slow... but I can change it. I can have a... well not peaceful, not with our Potter luck, but relatively happy life."

Harry smiled wide and said, "Well said mistress."

I laughed and said, "Death... Harry. You are me and I am you. No titles."

Harry nodded and said, "Good luck, Harri Potter."