Chapter 18

I just nodded and said, "Well, I've had an interesting year so far."

He nodded, looking back into the mirror, and said, "This mirror is the key to finding the stone." He then mumbled in consternation, "Trust Dumbledore to come up with something like this...but he's in London...I'll be far away by the time he gets back."

I looked at it, then back to him and said in fake ignorance, "Why is the stone important?"

He looked at me, almost surprised that I was still there and said, "My master needs this stone."

I tilted my head to the side and said, "Voldemort, right?"

Quirrell looked shocked and said, "How did you know that Potter!"

I shrugged and said, "My magic. It tells me things."

He looked interested, and roughly pulled me in front of the mirror and said, "This mirror shows our deepest desires. Look into the mirror and tell me what you see."

I rolled my eyes and looked. I once again saw my family, but I also saw a future with Cedric. That was surprising.

Quirrell looked almost hungry when he asked, "What do you see?"

I looked at him in the mirror and said the truth, "My family." There was no use lying. I knew that Tom could sense things like that, just as well as I could.

Quirrell looked angry and said, "I always see myself presenting the stone to my master." He looked back into the mirror, "But where is it?"

Suddenly, Tom's voice floats through the air, "Use the girl."

I pretended to look around for the voice and said, "Um. I don't even know what I'm supposed to look for." I said this, while looking into the mirror and thought about getting the stone before Quirrell so he couldn't use it.

Just like in my last life, I saw myself wink and put the stone in my skirt pocket. This time around, though, I didn't panic. That would only alert them, and we wouldn't want that.

Quirrell was frustrated, "The stone gives everlasting life, you ignorant girl! My master needs it!"

I then heard Tom again, and he said, "Let me speak to her... face to face."

Quirrell suddenly looked frightened and said, "Master, you are not strong enough."

Tom wheezed, "I have strength enough... for this."

Then, like in my last life, Quirrell unwrapped his head band and I saw Voldemort. Voldemort and I took our time looking at each other.

He then spoke, "You remind... me of someone."

I nodded and said, "I get that a lot."

He sneered and said, "Harri Potter... see what I have become? Mere shadow and vapor...I have form only when I can share another's body...But there have always been those willing to let me in their hearts and minds...Unicorn blood has strengthened me, these past weeks...And once I have the Elixir of Life, I will be able to create a body of my own... Now...why don't you give me that stone in your pocket?"

I gave no reaction, but I did internally sigh. I was cursed. It was the damn Potter luck; I was sure of it. I looked at Voldemort and said, "I have one question for you first, if you would," Tom looked shocked, but acquiesced, and I said, "What are your goals?"

To say he was shocked was a pure understatement. He looked at me, probably for the first time, in genuine interest, "Why, Harri Potter, are you questioning the Light?"

I shrugged and said, "Well. No. I do not honestly think that magic is dark or light. Magic is magic."

Tom looked even more intrigued and said, "My goals... are to unite all magical together and get rid of the muggles."

I tilted my head again and said, "Why?" He looked stumped that I asked, and I kept going, "I mean, I can see how muggles can be bad, seeing I was living with racist bigots my whole life after you killed my parents, but segregating us will get us nowhere. Magic will die that way."

Tom furrowed his brow and said, "How so?"

It was weird. In the last life, all I felt was this intense hatred, and here I was, having a civil conversation! Maybe he was more sane in death... Could Dumbledore have done the same thing to Tom as he did her? Bending him to his will, without anyone noticing? It was surreal, "Have you noticed something about Purebloods? All their magic is dwindling. I'll even give you an example. For centuries, the Black family was well known to have metamorphmagi in their tree, but due to inbreeding it hasn't been seen in decades... until one Andromeda Tonks went out of the fold and married a muggleborn. Guess what her daughter is?"

Tom looked like he was having an epiphany, "A metamorphmagus... that is a very interesting theory."

I nodded and said, "I also think that all muggleborn witches and wizards are descendants of squibs. So, it's not that the muggles are taking our magic, but that the magic is coming back after inbreeding is no longer a factor in that line."

Tom looked interested, and said, "That is... very interesting. And how does Dumbledore feel about all these theories?"

I shrugged and said, "I don't know. That old coot isn't allowed near me without another adult present." Tom snickered and I said with seriousness, "I want to know, that if I give this to you, will you not kill me? I won't stop you taking over Britain, just as long as you're actually trying to better our society. I don't want to grow up with bigoted people who think that only your blood counts. You're a half blood yourself, you know that's absolute shit."

Tom looked thoughtful, and said, "You will not stop me, or get in my way?"

I nodded and said, "I'll even throw in the soul containers I know about."

Tom stilled, and looked thunderous, "How... do you know about that?"

I shrugged and said, "I was one." Tom looked shocked, and I continued, "I got rid of it. No offense, but I didn't want another's soul within me."

Tom just had his mouth open and said, "You were..."

I nodded and said, "A Horcrux, yes." I shuddered, "I don't think you meant to do it but... eh. Along with your soul there were several other things going on with me, but suffice it to say that I am neither Light nor Dark, but a true Grey."

Tom said after a few minutes, "And how did you get rid of it?"

I shrugged and said, "The goblins gave me a purification ceremony. I had so many potions and compulsions on me, not including your horcrux, that I was surprised I even had the thought to do it." Tom was just quiet, and I finally said, "Have you ever thought that you were doing something that you wouldn't have normally? I mean, since you've first been introduced to the Wizarding world, have you acted different?"

His look blazed into me and he said, "I have always had my full facilities."

I rolled my eyes, "Sure. Just like I did before my purification. But guess who put them on me?"

Tom looked truly worried then, "Dumbledore."

I nodded and said, "Look at it this way. Dumbledore and Grindelwald were lovers, did you know that?" At his silence I continued, "They both had the same ideology. They both wanted the same thing, to rule the world together, they both just had different ways of doing it." He was still silent, and I kept going, "Dumbledore, I honestly don't know how he got into Gryffindor. He's a snake, always doing things in the shadows with fake smiles and twinkling eyes. He put me with those muggles and didn't check on me once. I was beaten and starved and lived in a goddamned cupboard. All so he could have his little savior of the Light beg for scraps of attention and become his sheep. I don't think he cares for anyone but himself."

Tom finally spoke, "I see...I do feel different now...I suppose I could have been compromised."

I was surprised he actually admitted it. I nodded and said, "I think that there are several people he's done this to, with none the wiser. I've been doing some digging." I then sighed and said, "Look, we can stand around here all day, but I need an answer. Are you going to kill me?"