Chapter 9

What do we have here? Well, well, well. Harri Potter. Welcome back. Thanks. How have you been? I have been fine, Miss Potter. Now, let us get you sorted. I take it Gryffindor is not the house you wish this time around? That's correct. I am a different person now. I still say that Slytherin would suit you best. And you may be right, but I need to be able to do the things I need to without Dumbledore watching my every move. I see. Yes, that old fool has gotten worse in his old age. Could you please sort me into Hufflepuff? I feel like in that house I can finally find true loyalty and  kindness. And you would deserve it, Miss Potter. Very well.

"Hufflepuff!" To say that everyone was surprised was an understatement. I could almost physically feel the disappointment from Dumbledore behind me, but I smiled wide and went to the Hufflepuff table who was cheering loudly.

I sat next to Neville and whispered, "Glad to see you here, Heir Longbottom."

He nodded with a small smile and whispered back, "Neville. You can call me Neville."

We looked back up when we heard McGonagall say, "Thomas, Dean!" Gryffindor.

And of course couldn't forget the weasel. He was under there for a few minutes. What was he doing? Then of course the hat yelled Gryffindor, but he looked so angry. He slammed the hat down and huffed over to his table. What a spectacle. 

"Zabini, Blaise!" Slytherin.

Once everyone calmed down and the hat was put away, Dumbledore stood up and said, "Welcome! Welcome to a new year at Hogwarts! Before we begin our banquet, I would like to say a few words. And here they are: Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak! Thank you."

And then the food appeared upon the table. Neville was awed, and I smiled. Soon everyone was eating and having a good time.

Fat Frier came around towards us and said jovially, "Oh! New students! I am so glad that you have joined my house!"

We all smiled. After some time, the feast ended and soon the Prefects stood up and said, "Hufflepuff first years, this way!"

We all stood up and followed them toward the halls. We stopped and a boy spoke first, "Hello firsties! My name is Gabriel Truman, and this is Amanda Singheart. We are the sixth-year prefects. We have four other prefects, which their names will be written down in the common room along with their picture for identification. Our job is to help students and make sure that there is no troublemaking. Now, our house is in the basement near the dungeons, follow us."

And he took us down several flights of stairs and warned us of the moving staircases. Once we got to the basement, we came upon some barrels.

The prefect said, "The entrance to the common room is located in a nook on the right-hand side of the kitchen corridor, concealed behind a stack of barrels. In order to reveal the entrance, no password is required. Instead, one must tap the barrel two from the bottom, middle of the second row, in the rhythm of 'Helga Hufflepuff', which will make the lid swing open, exposing a passageway that will lead to the basement when crawled through. However, if the wrong lid is tapped or the wrong rhythm is used, the intruder, or forgetful student, will be doused in vinegar and barred access. So please, be careful."

He then showed us the rhythm and we entered our house. It was beautiful. It was round and earthy and had low-ceilings and its circular windows had a view of rippling grass and dandelions, creating a sunny atmosphere. There was a lot of burnished copper about the place, and many plants, which either hung from the ceiling or sat on the windowsills. We had overstuffed sofas and chairs that were upholstered in yellow and black. And right there, in the center, hung Helga Hufflepuff's portrait. I didn't know that she had one made! So amazing!

The girl prefect spoke this time with a huge smile, "Do you all like it?" We all nodded, and she laughed, "Our Head of house, Professor Pomona Sprout, is Head of Herbology, and she brings the most interesting plant specimens, some of which dance and talk, to decorate our room — one reason why Hufflepuffs are often very good at Herbology. Our dormitories are reached through round doors in the walls of the common room with copper lamps to cast a warm light over our four-posters, all of which are covered in patchwork quilts. Copper bed warmers even hang on the walls, should you have cold feet."

I was impressed. This was so much nicer than the Gryffindor common room. I couldn't wait to see the dorms.

The boy continued, "Over there, you'll notice two doors. The door on the right leads to the Girl's Dormitory, and the door on the left leads to the Boy's Dormitory. I expect you all to behave yourselves, but just in case, each door is spelled to each student. That means that no boys within the girl dorms and vice versa."

The girl continued, "Classes start tomorrow morning at 9am. Breakfast is served at 7:30. You will all get your class schedule from our head of house, Professor Sprout. Your names are printed upon your dorm room doors, and you will be sharing a room with one other student. Now, go on and get settled, and we'll see you tomorrow morning!"

The girls and boys separated and soon me and the other girls headed toward our dorms. I walked until the door with my name was in front of me and walked in. A girl, Susan Bones, walked in behind me and we both smiled shyly.

 A girl, Susan Bones, walked in behind me and we both smiled shyly

I went first, "Hello. I'm Harri Potter. It's nice to meet you."

Susan smiled back and said, "I'm Susan Bones. I was surprised that the hat chose Hufflepuff for you." She then turned red in embarrassment.

I laughed to put her at ease and said, "Well. I value hard work, loyalty, and kindness. I hear that's what we badgers are best at."

She gave a wide smile and said, "That we are. Let's head to bed. Tomorrow is going to be a crazy day!"

I nodded and went to the bed that had my trunk at the foot of it. I quickly changed and got ready for bed, and then snuggled under the warm blankets. I fell asleep feeling warm and happy.