Chapter 8

The boys let us girls change first then we left for them to change. It was another half hour before we arrived in Hogsmeade. I saw Hagrid yelling for the first years, and all of us from our compartment went towards him and soon we were at the boats. Greengrass, Parkinson, Nott and I were on one boat, and Malfoy, Zabini, Crabbe and Goyle were on another boat.

It was just as magical this time as it was before, and I still sat entranced by the magic of this school. I looked around and saw that everyone was feeling the same way, and soon we were heading towards McGonnagall.

She shushed us and said, "Welcome to Hogwarts. The start-of-term banquet will begin shortly, but before you take your seats in the Great Hall, you will be sorted into your houses. The Sorting is a very important ceremony because, while you are here, your house will be something like your family within Hogwarts. You will have classes with the rest of your house, sleep in your house dormitory, and spend free time in your house common room." Everyone looked intrigued, and a bit excited. She continued, "The four houses are called Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin. Each house has its own noble history, and each has produced outstanding witches and wizards. While you are at Hogwarts, your triumphs will earn your house points, while any rule breaking will lose house points. At the end of the year, the house with the most points is awarded the house cup, a great honor. I hope each of you will be a credit to whichever house becomes yours." She then nodded her head as we all took in her words and said, "The Sorting Ceremony will take place in a few minutes in front of the rest of the school. I suggest you all smarten yourselves up as much as you can while you are waiting."

The eight of us stood together and right as the door closed talking erupted among the students. I heard Ron's voice, "Who does she think she is? She should have met me on the train!"

I looked back at him and heard Neville mumble and Ron sneered and said, "Potter was supposed to meet my family and I was to show her around. How rude do you have to be to ignore people?"

Draco and I looked at each other and he raised a brow. I shook my head and said, "I have no idea who that kid is."

Draco snickered and Ron seemed to notice him and he sneered, "Malfoy, what are you laughing at?"

Draco gave Ron a cool look and said, "Let me guess. A Weasley. My father told me that all Weasleys have red hair, freckles, and more children than they can afford."

Ron's face went dark red in embarrassment and anger as he heard the snickers around him, and he took a threatening step forward, "Watch your mouth, Malfoy."

Malfoy shrugged and said, "I'll say what I want Weasley."

Before Ron could retort ghosts popped out and several kids screamed. One of the ghosts, who seemed to be in a disagreement with another said, "My dear Friar, haven't we given Peeves all the chances he deserves? He gives us all a bad name and you know, he's not really even a ghost -- I say, what are you all doing here?"

None of the kids answered, and then the fat one said with a smile, "New students. About to be sorted, I suppose?"

All the kids nodded, and he said, "Hope to see you in Hufflepuff!" He looked proud and said, "My old house, you know."

I saw Neville looked frightened and I slid closer to him and said, "Hey, are you alright?"

He looked at me and grimaced, "I- I was just frightened. I've never s-seen a ghost before."

I nodded and lied, "I haven't either. Where do you think you'll be sorted?"

Neville looked down and mumbled, "My gran said that I needed to get into Gryffindor. It's where my father went."

I hummed and said, "Why do you need to go there? It doesn't seem like you really want to be put there."

He shrugged and said, "My gran takes care of me... I don't want to upset her."

I huffed and said, "Well. I for one want Hufflepuff. I hear everyone is kind there and very loyal."

I could see Neville thinking and he gave me a small smile, "I bet it's nice."

I smiled back and said, "Wish you could come with me. You seem nice too."

He blushed, but before he could react, a stern voice said, ""Move along now. The Sorting Ceremony's about to start." It was Professor McGonagall. One by one, the ghosts floated away through the opposite wall, and she continued "Now, form a line," Professor McGonagall told us, "and follow me."

Soon as everyone had lined up, we all went into the hall. It was beautiful. The enchanted ceiling was amazing. I could hear Hermione talking a mile a minute to two other girls who were both as amazed as I was. Soon, we all stopped in front of the head table, where all the professors sat. I looked toward the end and saw Severus. He looked just as dour as I remembered, but he was looking at me like he saw a ghost. I must really remind him of Lilly now. I then looked at Quirrell and saw how he was looking at each child with almost disdain before he got to me. I immediately looked away. My shields were not good enough to go against Tom.

My attention soon went to the Sorting Hat when it started singing, "Oh, you may not think I'm pretty, but don't judge on what you see, I'll eat myself if you can find a smarter hat than me. You can keep your bowlers black, your top hats sleek and tall, for I'm the Hogwarts Sorting Hat and I can cap them all. There's nothing hidden in your head The Sorting Hat can't see, so try me on and I will tell you where you ought to be. You might belong in Gryffindor, where dwell the brave at heart, their daring, nerve, and chivalry set Gryffindors apart; you might belong in Hufflepuff, where they are just and loyal, those patient Hufflepuff are true and unafraid of toil; Or yet in wise old Ravenclaw, if you've a ready mind, where those of wit and learning, will always find their kind; Or perhaps in Slytherin you'll make your real friends, those cunning folk use any means to achieve their ends. So, put me on! Don't be afraid! And don't get in a flap! You're in safe hands (though I have none) For I'm a Thinking Cap!"

Everyone clapped and cheered and then Professor McGonagall stepped forward holding a long roll of parchment. "When I call your name, you will put on the hat and sit on the stool to be sorted," she said. "Abbott, Hannah!"

She sat the hat on her head, and it was only a moment later when the hat yelled, "Hufflepuff!"

And so, the list went:

"Bones, Susan!" Hufflepuff.

"Boot, Terry!" Ravenclaw.

"Borcklehurst, Mandy!" Ravenclaw.

"Brown, Lavender!" Gryffindor.

"Bulstrode, Millicent!" Slytherin.

"Crabbe, Vincent!" Slytherin.

"Finch-Fletchley, Justin!" Hufflepuff.

"Finnigan, Seamus!" Gryffindor.

"Granger, Hermione!" Ravenclaw. That was interesting. What else is different this time around?

"Goyle, Gregory!" Slytherin.

"Longbotton, Neville!" Hufflepuff! I was proud that he chose a house that would suit him more.

"MacDougal, Morag!" Ravenclaw.

"Malfoy, Draco!" Slytherin.

"Moon, Lilly!" Gryffindor.

"Nott, Theodore!" Slytherin.

"Parkinson, Pansy!" Slytherin.

"Patil, Padma!" Ravenclaw.

"Patil, Parvati!" Gryffindor.

"Perks, Sally-Anne!" Hufflepuff.

"Potter, Harriet!" The whole room got quiet and everyone was looking at me. I held my head high. I was not afraid this go around. I walked up with confidence and the hat was placed upon my head.