Chapter 12

Fixed the issue people had about the magical time limit. It was unclear when the time was up, and I hope it makes more sense now :)

Dinner was a quiet affair, for the most part. I did, however, receive a summons from Dumbledore. This was earlier than I expected and a bit more alarming. I thought being placed in Hufflepuff would make him still think I was in the Light. It seems like if I don't do things exactly as he wants then he'll try and change it. No matter the decision.

Miss Potter,

It would please me to talk after dinner.

I knew your parents very well.

I'm feeling hungry for acid pops.

Professor Dumbledore

Looking up from the note I did not see him at the table, but I did see Professor Sprout. I looked at Susan, and she looked curious. I said, "I need to talk to Professor Spout. You don't need to wait up for me, okay?"

She nodded, and when I was finished eating, I went up to her and said, "Excuse me, Professor?"

She smiled and said, "Yes Miss Potter? What can I do for you?"

I showed her my note from Dumbledore and said, "I received this note from the Headmaster, would you mind coming with me? I don't... like being with older men by myself."

Sprout frowns for a moment while reading the note. I can almost see the disapproval. She then smiled gently at me and said, "Of course, child. Let's head up there now so you won't stay up past curfew."

As we walked I faked feeling upset and said, "Am I in trouble Professor?"

She shook her head and said, "I should think not, Miss Potter."

We got to the statue and Sprout said the password and up we went. We both stepped into his office at the same time and I could tell the Dumbledore was surprised.

He stepped from behind his desk and said, "Good evening Miss Potter." He then smiled at Professor Sprout and said, "Pamona, thank you for escorting Miss Potter. You may leave."

I grabbed onto her hand and said with a fake small voice, "Please Professor, stay."

I could tell that made up her mind as she looked at Albus and said, "Is there a reason you called her to your office Albus?"

He was silent for a moment then sighed and said, "It was something I wished to discuss between Miss Potter and myself."

I shook my head and said, "Unless it's about my school performance, you don't have the right to see me alone. Even then, I can always request a guardian."

The twinkle in his eyes were gone, and he said, "While that is true, dear girl-"

I interrupted him and said, "Please, Headmaster, don't address me so familiarly."

I could tell that Sprout was looking back and forth between us and didn't like what she saw. She stood straighter and said, "Albus. Just get to the point of the meeting."

Albus sighed in feigned exhaustion and turned around to collect the sorting hat. He then stepped closer to me and said, "I believe that the sorting hat put you in the wrong house."

Sprout and I gaped (I still refuse eye contact) and she sputtered, "E-excuse me?"

I shook my head and said, "I like my house."

Dumbledore just shook his head and said, "Both of your parents were in Gryffindor and they would be proud of you if you went there."

That was a low blow, and Sprout knew it. As far as manipulations went, it was pretty easy to see through... if you weren't a child. But I was not. She narrowed her eyes and said, "What are you trying to do, Albus? Just because her parents were in a certain house does not mean she belongs there as well."