I19I

☆Lauren☆

I look around and find my brothers staring us down. My stomach drops. Grayson nods his head for me to walk over to them. I slowly look back to Nick. He sheepishly scratches the back of his neck and stands up. He gives me a small smile and walks away.

I turn to look at my brothers and they are glaring after him.

Shit, shit, shit!

I stand up from the stool and make my way towards them. They look like angry giants as they look down at me and I just want to crawl away.

"What the fuck was that?" Grayson sneers.

"Uh what do you mean?" I ask, nervously fidgeting with my hands. They all look at me like I'm dumb to even ask that question. They clearly saw how close Nick and I were.

How am I going to get myself out of this?

"We were just talking," I shrug my shoulders like it's nothing. Hope they buy it.

"Didn't look like that to us? In fact you two looked pretty comfortable with each other. Want to explain that?" Evan crosses his arms.

I can feel my face heat up. Why do they always have to be so intimidating?

"You know he's not that bad when you get to know him," I explain and they all look at me like I've grown two heads.

"We are talking about the same Nick Carver right?" Owen says. Seriously?

"Yes Owen," I roll my eyes. I get that I'm new here so I haven't known him long. Also he's our family's rivals so I get the hostility but they haven't even got to know him as a person. They only view him as a rival.

"In fact he actually was a big help when I sprained my ankle and with my boot and everything," I explain trying to defend Nick.

Wow never thought I'd see the day I defend Nick Carver...

"Really?" Evan asks like it's the most surprising thing he has ever heard.

"What do you mean he helped you?" Grayson questions. "He helped me to the nurses office the day I sprained it and he's been carrying my backpack from class to class," I explained to them.

They just blink at me a couple of times not saying a word. The silence is absolutely killing me.

"I don't give a fuck if he helped you or not. You stay away from him, ok?" Grayson eyes me."But-"

"Lauren..." Evan warns. I take a deep breath and nod my head. I spin on my heel and get as far away from them as I can.

I take the staircase up even though there's nothing up there except cases of beer. Maybe i'll drink my feelings.

Ya that seems like a good idea.

As I approach the top of the stairs I hear a hushed voice. "Yes dad, it's all under control, give me time. I gotta go," then silence.

I peak my head in and see Nick...

What the hell was that conversation about?

He turns around and his face is as white as snow. "Lauren..." he says slowly.

"Nick..." I eyed him suspiciously. He's acting really sketchy right now. He's looking everywhere but me.

"What are you doing up here?" I step into the room and cross my arms. "Uh the service is better up here," he laughs and it comes out like he's nervous.

"Hmmm" is all I say. I look around the room and walk over to a case of beer and rip it open. I pick a can up and slide down the wall and sit on the floor. He watches my every move.

I pat the spot next to mine and he hesitantly takes the seat next to me. He rests his arms on his knees and I can see the muscles bulging out of his sleeves.

I open my can and take a huge sip. "So why are you up here?" he asks.

"My brothers told me to stay away from you," I turned to face him. That's when I realize how close we are sitting next to each other. "You always listen to what your brothers say?" he looks me in the eyes then slowly down to my lips.

He breathes out and I feel his hot breath fan over my face. "There's one thing you should know about me," I saw looking him in the eyes.

"Ya? And what's that?" he bites his lips and leans slightly forward.

"When someone tells me I can't do something, I want to do it that much more," and then his lips crash on mine.

His lips taste like heaven, the perfect mixture of beer and...Nick.

His hands run through my hair and mine on his chest. I feel his heart beat rapidly under my touch. If only he could hear mine.

He grabs my waist and without breaking the kiss, he pulls me into his lap so that I am now straddling him. Bites my lower lip causing me to gasp. He then slips his tongue in and I fall into a bliss.

Why did god make him such a good kisser?

His grip tightens on my waist and my fingertips run through his hair. We break the kiss and rest our foreheads against each other.

"Wow"

"Wow"

We are both breathing heavily. I lean back slowly but still stratelling his lap. "I wish that we could always be like this and not have family drama ruin everything," he smiles sadly while wrapping my hair behind my ear. I close my eyes and lean into his touch.

"Me too," I tell him.

Oh how things could be easier if our families weren't sworn enemies...

But we are and things could never happen between Nick and I. It just isn't fair. I wish I didn't have feelings for Nick Freaking Carver but I do...

And that kiss just proved it.

He pulls me off of his lap and we stand up. He places his hands on my hips and looks down at me.

"Hey, I see those wheels spinning in your head. Everything will be ok," he says softly.

"How can you be so sure? Our families would disown us if they find out," I look up to him. He averts his gaze.

"Just trust me ok?" he says, still not looking at me and at the wall like it's the most fascinating thing ever.

"Nick?" I cup his face so he looks at me. "Are you not telling me something?" I ask him. He squints his eyes shut and leans into my touch. He lets out a sigh and grabs my wrist and removes them from his face but doesn't release his grip.

"Just know that I care about you Lauren, I really care about you no matter what. Please remember that," he tells me. I look up at him confused. What is he saying?

"I gotta go," he says. He leans down and places a long warm kiss on my forehead and then he's gone when I open my eyes he's gone.

Suddenly I feel empty. What did he mean "no matter what?" And what was that call about?

I don't have a good feeling about this...