ALIVE, j. parrish

Phoebe sighed as she started to make her way to Jordan's car. She had left her necklace in his car, and he had told her that she could come get it. She furrowed her eyebrows as she watched Haigh, another deputy, circle her boyfriend's car. Suddenly, he flicked something at the car, engulfing it in flames. Phoebe screamed as Haigh walked away from the car, coming towards her.

She could barely register what was happening as she felt something cold and metal click around her wrist. She sobbed as she heard Jordan's screams coming from a couple of yards away.

"I'm sparing you because I know you won't tell anyone. You're too scared. So, you're going to sit here, and watch your boyfriend burn to death. Either way, I'm getting five million dollars out of it," Haigh whispered. Phoebe heard his footsteps fade away before she snapped back into reality.

Haigh had handcuffed her to a pole, and her phone lay by her feet, smashed into pieces. She felt her eyelids get heavy as she slid to the ground, her head touching the cool concrete next to her.

"Phoebe. Phoebe," Jordan croaked, attempting to shake his girlfriend awake. The woman awoke, squinting her puffy eyes. Her breath caught in her throat as she saw Jordan standing in front of her, completely alive. He was covered in ash, but he was alive.

"Jordan! How are you- how are you alive?" she asked. He shrugged, unlocking her handcuffs. Fresh tears filled Phoebe's eyes as she threw her arms around Jordan, her head swimming with uneasy thoughts. Jordan sighed, holding the woman in a tight embrace.

"I don't know what the hell just happened, but we're going to figure it out. Together," Jordan stated, kissing the side of her head.