✤ 1.45 her strings ✤

Posted: February 11th, 2021

✤ Rihaan: 1.45 - her strings ✤

I raise my voice to be heard over the double doors separating Faisal and me from Kriana and Sanya. "Your brilliant plan is to lock us up in the gym? Let us out, Ana."

Kriana, I expected something as such from. But, Sanya?

I can't believe she was in on the plan. She lured me to the gym during our lunch hour telling me she'd forgotten her book she would need for the next class in her gym locker. Since when did I stop seeing through her lies? Maybe, she's getting better at lying or I just had no reason to second-guess her.

My said best friend demands back, "Nope! Sort it out, idiots. I am not letting you out otherwise."

I mutter hitting the door aimlessly. "Real mature, Ana."

The silence echoes back and I figure they are not going to entertain me until I listen to their demands. Reluctantly, I turn to Faisal who is a few steps behind me with his hands in his pocket, standing there looking bored. As if he'd rather be anywhere else but here.

That makes two of us.

I know how I was tricked into coming here, but how did he end up being manipulated?

He replies, "Girish," as if he was in sync with my thoughts.

I realize... just because we haven't communicated in the longest year does not mean that we weren't friends at one point in our lives. If anything, we have spent many years being friends compared to the last year that we spent being strangers.

But, recalling the reason of our falling apart, my features stiffen and I let it be known. "I don't know what they hope to gain by doing this now, but it's a year too late for you to apologize. And I'm not interested in hearing it."

He scoffs, shifting his arms so they are now crossed over his chest and he mimics my stern stance. "Good, because you are not going to get it either."

I fight the twitch in my jaw. What the hell? Where is this arrogance coming from? How can he still not see what he has done that has led us to this moment? He doesn't even have the humility to admit where he went wrong.

He shakes his head, almost like he is disappointed in me. "You know what, Rihaan, instead of focusing on what I did, why don't you look at what you did?"

I get on the defensive, "I punched you because you..."

He scoffs again, turning away from me for a moment. I trail off, confused, and then he turns to face me again. "You think we aren't friends anymore because you punched me or because of what I said? No, Rihaan. You don't even know why I am mad at you. Given we were best friends at one point, that is just sad."

""What the hell are you talking about? I haven't done anything other than punch you for how you had been behaving after I got back."

He takes a step towards me, jumping on a note. "Exactly. After you got back. All you could think about was how bad you felt about leaving her. But you know what? Newsflash. She wasn't the only one you abandoned by leaving and not even bothering to stay in touch with any of us."

His accusations leave me stumped momentarily. Was I that blind-sided as he claims? But, no. It's not like I completely abandoned them or I didn't stay in touch. We had a group chat. I replied there from time to time. Is that not what he means, though? Was he looking for me to text him individually? But come on. It can't be that silly. The first school day when I was back, I did go to them, right? He had started saying things then and that was the start of the downhill.