✤ 1.38 - magic of us ✤

Posted: December 10th, 2019

Sanya: 1.38 - Magic of Us

My legs bounce up and down as I sit on the bench in front of the principal's office. I don't quite appreciate being called to the principal's office on the first day of the new school year feeling as if I have done something wrong. All I can think about is that I am in trouble - even if the rational part of my brain counters with the fact that I haven't done anything wrong or broken any rules. After all, today is the first day. We haven't had enough time to get ourselves in trouble yet.

The school peon calls me, "Sanya?" and I look up. "You can go in now." He holds open the door leading to the office.

My knees feel weak as I push myself to stand up and put one foot in front of the other. Mrs. Kirloskar looks up from behind her computer screen and waves at me to take the seat on the other side of the desk, "Sanya, come. Have a seat."

My fingers fidget in my lap, feeling my anxiety rising. I do not like this at all. I had been so good throughout the summer. I can't get a panic attack first day of school. I just can't! The fear that I might get one nudges me to grab the bracelet around my wrist - the one Rihaan got for me.

After the most painful silence, Mrs. Kirloskar turns a page in my direction. "Did you make these?"

I lean forward to look at the page and notice it's a picture of the painted canvas which I had submitted as my final project for art class last year. Gulping, I nod simply unable to form the words to go along with it. I thought it was a good painting...

Wait.

My brain puts it together and starts wondering if the art teacher figured out that some of the paints I mixed were from my personal collection. Am I in trouble because of that?!

Oh God. They are not going to recall my grade and fail me now that they've found out, are they? I can't fail!!

Mrs. Kirloskar nods, picking up the copy to place it in front of her again. "It's brilliant work, Sanya. You have amazing control over your brush strokes but...."

Here it comes. No matter the previous compliments, nothing good ever follows a 'but'.

"... have you ever done 3-D paintings?"

Confused, my reply comes as a question. "N-no?"

"Oh," She looks disappointed for a second before she pushes it back with a smile. "Never mind that. We have a new student in your class who'll be joining us in a few days and he is brilliant at art like you. I was hoping the two of you could work together to create the backdrops for the Diwali show. Now, I know it isn't till 3 months from now and I shouldn't be springing this on you on day 1, but I want to give students enough time to prepare so they can cope with studies and other extracurricular activities as well if that makes sense."

Okay, she just threw a lot of information at me. New student. 3-D backdrops. Diwali show. 3 months. Did I miss the part where she tells me she is failing me? No? Good, it's not happening then. One good outcome out of the whole list she sprung my way.

There is such expectation on her face when she probes, "So? What do you think? Up for it?" that I don't have the heart to say no. It is when her face turns into a huge grin that I realize the words that had flown out of my mouth automatically. "Brilliant! I will introduce you to him when he arrives. You will most likely have to attend the initial meetings as the student body decides on a theme, which performances to keep, how many, and the likes so that you have an idea of what they're looking for in the backdrops."