✤ 1.23 losing my heart ✤

Posted October 27th, 2018

Rihaan: 1.23 losing my heart 

That night, approaching Nidhi where she was standing off center, I clear my throat to mark my presence. She turns to me, quickly wiping her face. Still, her eyes gave away her crying. "Rihaan, believe me, please. I didn't..."

When she tries to reach for my arm, I move away from it. I am not here to feed her delusions. What she did today is unforgivable. Not because it was Sanya. It would have been unforgivable regardless of who the person was to me. Even if a stranger, that is no way to treat another human being. "Cut it out, Nidhi. I meant it earlier. I don't believe you."

Instead of feeling remorse, her face hardens and she crosses her arms over her chest. "Why are you here then?"

Her attitude makes me angry and I clench my fists, least I take it out physically - because I can't do that. "Do you realize what you did, Nidhi?"

"She fell on her own. She had it coming. If you ask me, it was karma."

"Nidhi!" I raise my voice, "No matter how you twist it around in your head, it does not justify your actions! Have I ever given you any hint to make you think I like you?"

"What does that matter? I like you!"

What is wrong with her? Heartbreaks do not make one react like this. "Listen to yourself, Nidhi. Do you realize how you sound? You can't force a relationship on someone just because of the way you feel for them."

"And she comes along and steals you away from me and I am supposed to let it happen?" She lets out a laugh that is almost maniacal. She is so not handling this in a healthy manner. "You're mine, Rihaan."

I sigh, "You know, what? I did not want to say this to you because I did not want to hurt you but there is no getting through you or hoping to stay friends so listen to me clearly. She did not steal me away from you or anyone. I am not yours. My heart is mine to give and since the first day I remember, I have only ever given it to her. I have known her my whole life and your delusions about us do not compare to it, do you hear me? So stay the hell away from her and me. If you try anything else... well, you won't be answering to me or the school. You will be answering to some of the most powerful families in this country and I am sure I do not need to remind you their names."

Having said my piece, having given her my warning, I leave her be. If she knows what's best for her, she will heed. If not... there's always another way. I am done being lenient or being the good guy. I almost lost Sanya today and I draw the line there. Her life is too precious and I will be damned if I sit by letting anyone mess with it.

*✧✤--------------------------✤✧*

[Some Days Later...]

Mom hands me two plates full of snacks to take up to the terrace where everyone is. Today was Makar Sankranti. We were all gathered at Kriana's house for once. Given I had been the one to gobble up most of the snacks, everyone bullied me into getting more to replace it.

As I reach the stairs to walk up to the terrace, I find Sanya halfway on her way down. I raise my brows to ask if she needed anything and she informs, "They sent me to check if you forgot to save some for others."

I point out in defense, "Oh, hello. I'm not a pig, okay? Do you realize how tough it is to get the ladies to listen when they're all gossiping about?"

She bites back a smile and rolling my eyes, I climb up to reach the same step she is standing on. She turns sideways and I forward one of the plates asking her to bring one of it. Instead, she picks a chikki, also known as brittle made from jaggery and peanuts, to eat for herself. I give her a look but she carelessly takes a bite.