✤ 1.21 losing my gloves ✤

Posted October 21st, 2018

Rihaan: 1.21 losing my gloves

"We're going to live in tents?" I find myself questioning when we reach a clearing. I was under the impression we were walking to some hotel or something we would be staying at.

Coach admonishes, "We're here for the cultural experience, Rihaan. Not to continue living in luxuries you are used to in your dad's world."

I slightly frown at the dig he makes. I am not a spoiled rich kid! "But we could freeze to death."

"Then hopefully you read the instructions and packed enough warm clothes."

Ugh. I hate him. Kriana is always telling us he is a no-nonsense attitude kind of person, but seriously?! This isn't cultural. This is a death wish.

Girish grabs my elbow and pulls me away from Coach before he can say anything else, "Come on, roomie. Let's set up our tent."

I raise a brow at him wanting to be mad at him just because of what had happened on Friday with him finally realizing Kriana had feelings for him, "When did I agree on sharing the tent with you?"

"You have to share with someone. Better me than Faisal."

I drop the arguments at that.

As we are working on setting it up, I clear my throat to get his attention. "So, you and Kriana?"

He points out, "Shouldn't you be asking her? Given she is your best friend and all?"

I narrow my eyes at him, "I am asking you. I already know what she feels."

He crosses his arms over his chest, stopping for a second on the task at hand. "Are you trying to turn into some overprotective brother looking out for her?"

I throw a rope in his direction, "Just answer the question, man. I'm curious." I have already accepted Kriana can look after herself. She knows how to give people tit for tat.

He clarifies, "And are you going to be running back to her telling her of our conversation?"

I reply in the same mocking tone he uses, "And do I look like gossip girl to you?"

After assessing my intentions for asking, he lets out a sigh and continues by lifting a rod that would support the center of the tent. "I've never seriously thought about her, you know? Until now."

I nod along for yes, there are so many things Kriana will do or say casually that someone might not pay attention to it. And, the one thing that connected the two was soccer. So, I can imagine how Girish thought of her as someone who understood his passion for the game first, female second. She could be very aggressive on the field and often come off as a tomboy - when not dressed up for some party. That is when she does truly surprise people into accepting that yes, she is a female.

I advice, "Well, just be honest to her about it then. Don't lead her on."

He chuckles, "I think you should follow that advice more than me."

The gap between my brows come together, "What do you mean?"

He gives me a knowing glance, "Nidhi."

"I haven't... lead her on."

He breathes out, accepting that, but adding. "No. But you haven't shut her off either. I don't see how that's any better."

"I just don't want to hurt her."

"Rihaan, dude, sorry to break it you, but this is only going to hurt more. Especially now when everyone sees the way you are with Sanya."

He doesn't have to spell it out for me to understand what he is talking about. Over the night, Sanya had shifted to resting her head on my thigh and cuddling up, probably not comfortable with sleeping while sitting. It's the scene I had woken up to and neither of us had made a big deal of it but I can imagine our classmates would.