✤ 1.43 my pictures✤

Posted: January 27, 2021

Rihaan: 1.43 - my pictures 

A pair of arms wrap around me and I stiffen at once. I know her touch. I know her scent. I know her height and where her head rests when she hugs me from the back. Pushing the unfamiliar arms away, I stop packing my things and turn around at once.

A face I haven't seen in a while. "Nidhi." She smiles but I sense something fishy. "Uh, what are you doing here?"

She chirpily replies, "I was doing a semester abroad as an exchange student, as you know, but now I'm back! Aren't you happy to see me?"

"Sure," I reply in a clipped tone before turning to stuff my clothes in my bag in a rush. "Excuse me, but I need to get going. My parents are waiting for me."

Just as I walk around her, she grabs my elbow to stop me. "What's the rush? I'm sure they'll be understanding of you catching up with an old friend."

My eyes assess her closely. What is she playing at here? The last time I saw her was months ago, just before last school year's final exams. The last time we spoke was even longer when I warned her to stay away from Sanya during our last year's annual fieldtrip.

She adds when I remain silent, "So, that was sweet up there - what Sanya said on the stage."

I tug my arm out of hers looking at her with cold eyes, "Nidhi, I am not in the mood for your games."

She sighs looking disappointed, but worrying over her feelings are the least of my concern. "Why are you being so mean, Rihaan? I thought we could atleast be friends. Look, I even got something for you." She forwards a white envelope. I narrow my eyes at it. "Go on. Open it," she encourages.

Suspiciously, I take the envelope and open it. Sticking my fingers inside, I pull out the items and my eyes widen. I knew her sweet words so far was just an act.

Even when I am furious, my parents have raised me better. My fists tighten to keep from physically lashing out. "You are sick."

She laughs, crossing her arms over her chest, "Did you think the two of you would rub your love in my face and I'll just sit back and watch?"

I demand, "Why are you doing this?"

She casually shrugs her shoulder, "Simple, really. You are mine."

I clench my jaw to keep my anger in check. Yelling back at her would only mean playing into her game. I did not want to give her the satisfaction of getting to me.

"Do you remember what you said to me, Rihaan? That I'd answer to some powerful families if I didn't leave your precious Sanya alone?" I do recall the words I had said to her that day she had pushed Sanya off the rafting boat. She smiles batting her eyes, "Alright, then. I left her alone. But if you don't want those," she nods towards the images in my hand, "getting out for everyone to see, with a video copy," she leans forward to speak by my ear and I have to hold on to the last shred of my patience to not coil back in disgust, "then you and those powerful families now answer to me."

I warn through clenched teeth, "You are not getting away with this."

She laughs as if I have just made a joke. "Sure I will," she says confidently taking a step back and dropping her arms to her side. "I'll be in touch." She turns to leave and pauses to add, "Oh, and feel free to keep those. They are only copies, after all. I've got the originals."

With a wink that churns my stomach around, she leaves.

I glance down at the digital print in my hand. It's there. I know what just happened. But, my mind is having a hard time processing it. Swallowing, I try to think. What should I do? Yes... first, I need to figure out if this is even real.