✤ 1.24 roses are red ✤

Posted October 31st, 2018

Sanya: 1.24 roses are red 

My biggest regret this morning was waking up at 3 in the morning because a certain thing called inspiration hit me and I simply could not allow myself to go back to sleep until the image I had in my brain was transferred to a blank canvas. Then, the itch for perfection set in and now as I pause, a lot more satisfied with the painting in front of me, the time settles in.

More specifically, the fact that I am going to have to rush to get to school on time. "Oh, shit." I curse under my breath, drop my paintbrush into the glass of dirty water and fumble about to untie the apron.

Not remembering that some members of the house must still be asleep, I yell over while running down the stairs to reach my room from the studio. "MOM!"

She appears from the kitchen at once with a hushed scolding, "Shh! Everyone is sleeping, bacha."

I bite my tongue in quick remorse before lowering my voice, "Breakfast ready?"

"It's in a much better shape than you," she teases looking at my state. I roll my eyes and she chuckles with an instruction, "If you hurry, Sam can drop you today on his way to office."

I nod, silently understanding dad must have an early meeting and run off towards my room. Only grabbing my towel, I jump in the shower. If I didn't have paint splotches over my skin, I'd have skipped a shower but it was no longer a viable option.

"Holy..." I bite back another curse in vain when freezing cold water snips at my bare skin. Yup, this is the price I pay for creativity.

In record time, I manage to get the paint off me as best as I could see and wrap myself in my towel after drying off. Walking back into my room, I find my clothes ready on the bed and assume mom must have come in and taken them out for me.

The one good thing about private schools: uniforms. One doesn't have to waste time in the morning trying to figure out which outfit to wear for the day. Quickly wearing the shirt and skirt, I walk over to my desk to pack my bag. While I am looking through the pile to find my calculus book, there is a knock on my door.

I glance up and am surprised to find Rihaan greeting me, "Hey, uh, good morning."

I greet back in confusion, "Morning?" before continuing my search for my books and asking, "What... what are you doing here?"

He takes a step inside my room. His voice is full of hesitancies for some reason, "I, uh, had to, um, give you something."

He only says this on one occasion. "Did you go out last night? On a school night?"

Finding the last book I need, I stuff it in the bag and zip it up before grabbing my tie off the edge of the bed and putting it around my neck.

He shifts his balance from one foot to another, still nervous.

I give him a berating look as I sit on the bed to put on socks, "Really, Rihaan? You could have given it to me at school."

Why would he make a long trip this early in the morning when he could save some time with patience?

"It was important and I think I already waited too long and..."

His reply is cut off as we hear mom's oncoming voice from around the corner, "Sanya, are you ready? You're getting..." She trails off on noticing Rihaan there, "Oh, hi Rihaan. I didn't hear you come in."

He presses his lips together in a smile and I scold myself from lingering on his dimples. Taking the other sock, I slide my foot in and stand up to brush my skirt while he replies, "Hi, Aunty, I just came."