Mommy Dearest

Thank you for the request, Hailey! :)

***

Oakley and Astrid arrived at the clubhouse after their morning flight to find Snotlout and Tuff still sitting under their personal rain clouds. Oakley snapped her fingers, causing the clouds to disappear. She had decided that making them sleep in the rain was punishment enough, for now.

She suddenly froze, she looked over towards Astrid who just stared for a few minutes, causing confusion amongst the group.

They all ate breakfast in silence, before packing up to head back to Berk for the annual dragon census.

***

The group landed in the center of Berk where Stoick, Gobber, and many others had already gathered to greet them.

'Mom!' Astrid shouted as she spotted her mother in the crowd. She had been away the last time Astrid was here, so they hadn't spoken in months.

It wasn't long before she had pushed her way through the crowd to embrace her daughter. It wasn't hard to see the mother-daughter resemblance.

As everyone had begun to speak with their families for the first time in weeks, Oakley was finding herself surrounded by strangers. Apparently, the obsession with seeing her powers hadn't quite worn off.

She panicked as she noticed at least 20 Vikings running straight for her. She closed her eyes and clicked her fingers, not quite sure what she was wanting to happen. The crazed Vikings all tumbled on top of one another as Oakley disappeared into thin air, unaware that she had reappeared on the outside of the huge crowd.

'Oakley?' Astrid ran to her girlfriend's side, ready to catch her. As awesome as her new power looked, it left her feeling pretty lightheaded and unbalanced. Astrid's mother walked over to the young girls to finally meet her daughter's friend.

'I'm okay, Astrid.' Oakley said. But, Astrid wasn't falling for it.

'So, this is the girl Stoick has been telling me about?' Astrids Mother asked as she approached.

'Oh... Mom, this is Oakley.' Astrid introduced. 'Oak, this is my Mother.'

'Nice to meet you, Mrs. Hofferson.' Oakley smiled and reached out her hand, despite the fact that her head was still spinning, although a lot less than it was just a few seconds ago.

'Please, call me Lotus.' She replied, shaking her hand. 'After all, any friend of Monkey's is a friend of mine.'

'Monkey?' Oakley whispered as she turned her head towards Astrid who was ridden with embarrassment.

'Okay, I think we're done here.' Astrid quickly turned Oakley towards her father's hut.

Oakley giggled as Astrid walked her over to her hut, to offload her luggage.

'I'll leave you to it.' Astrid turned to leave as Oakley opened the door and slowly entered. She stopped in her tracks as she felt Oakley's hand grasp her by the wrist, and turned back to face her.

'Nah uh.' Oakley said, dragging Astrid inside.

They headed up the stairs and continued down the hall until they reached Oakley's bedroom door. She hadn't set foot in there since she had escaped and originally planned on keeping it that way. But, she couldn't avoid it forever.

She hesitated before finally reaching for the doorknob. She held the door open, allowing Astrid to enter.

Astrid entered the room, to find every inch of the walls covered with dragons, that Oakley had painted over the years. A large bookshelf that covered an entire wall that must have held over a hundred books, it also held the small wooden ornaments Hiccup had made her every year at Snoggletog, a small box full of sketches by a desk, a large chest tucked away in the far corner and of course, her bed.

'Wow.' Astrid looked around the room while Oakley set down her bags.

'Yup, welcome to my world.' Oakley raised her arms out to the side.

Astrid gently placed a hand on the Deadly Nadder painted on the wall by the window. It looked just like Stormfly. 'It's incredible.' She whispered as she laid her head on the wall above the Nadder.

She looked towards Oakley, who was watching intently. 'Did you make this?'

Oakley nodded and smiled, rubbing her arm nervously. 'Do you like it?'

'Like it?' Astrid slowly backed away from the wall to take it all in. 'I...I love it... It's beautiful.' She smiled.

***

Oakley had just finished unpacking when they heard a knock at the door. They raced downstairs to let them in.

They opened the door to find Astrid's mother standing with a tray full of food.

'You're Father had some chiefing to do, I figured you girls were hungry.' She explained.

'Thank you,' Oakley said holding the door. 'Please, come in.' She closed the door behind them.

'Here, I got it.' She took the tray from Mrs. Hofferson, which was a lot heavier than it looked.

'Please, make yourself comfortable.' She suggested, gesturing towards the seating area.

'Suck up.' Astrid quietly teased. Oakley stuck out her tongue, before placing the tray on the coffee table in the center.

'So Monkey, How's life in the great beyond?'

'Mom...' Astrid looked down embarrassed.

Oakley picked up on this. 'What's so bad about that nickname? I think it's sweet. You should hear some of the nicknames Dad and Hiccup gave me over the years.' She giggled.

'Like what?' Astrid asked, suddenly curious.

'Dad used to call me Munchkin,... and Hiccup, calls me Piglet.'

'Awwwww.' Astrid giggled. 'Okay, I guess Monkey isn't so bad.'

'So... The great beyond?' Her mother repeated.

'It's great... That's why they call it the great beyond.' Astrid stated.

'So, what have you girls been getting up to? Hiccup mentioned that you girls have been spending a lot of time together.'

The girls looked at each other before their eyes quickly looked away. Each girl desperately trying not to blush.

'Well, Oakley has spent most of her time training.' Astrid told her, avoiding eye contact.

'Okay, that's it...' Lotus knew Astrid too well. 'Spill it!' She ordered.

Both girls looked up in confusion.

'What do you mean?' Astrid asked, knowing that she was going to regret asking that question.

'Your pupils are dilated, you won't look me in the eye and you're picking your cuticles, which you only do when you're nervous... So, spill it!'

Oakley started to tidy up.

'It's nothing, Mom.' Astrid reassured.

'Okay, so you girls aren't dating in secret?' She smirked.

Oakley spun around as Astrid's head shot up.

'What?!' They both gasped.

'How did you...?' Astrid paused.

'...Know?' Her mother let out a little chuckle. 'Oakley's eyes...'

Astrid looked towards Oakley with confusion, she shrugged as she sat back down.

'...The way she looks at you,... the way you look at her...'

The girls turned to face each other, with a small smile.

'...It reminds me of the way your father and I used to look at one another.'

The girls closed their eyes and slowly rested their heads together, finally letting out a little giggle.

'Okay, you caught us.' Astrid chuckled.

***