Chapter 7

Ellis POV

I saw how much Meredith was uncomfortable in this situation with Alex so I called her over to give her a chance to walk away.

Once she came over I let her walk away and be alone, so I went to my office kind of embarrassed about what just happened with my daughter. When I got to my office I finished a lot of paper work and heard a knock at the door.

I said "come in..." then the door opened up slowly and Derek Shepherd walked in. He looked like he wanted to ask me a question. Little did he know that Richard told me all about this morning., and we all knew it wasn't about a clinical trial.

He looked at me like he was scared and he said "I would like to talk to you about a clinical trial." I wasn't surprised about this, his marriage ended, he no longer had responsibilities for anyone other than himself. So why not focus on his career and to be honest I applaud him for that.

I asked him for a proposal and he handed me a folder with what felt like 5 pounds of research. And then he said, "I also emailed you my presentation for the board so that they can review it."

I looked it over and it was Alzheimer's research to find a cure. I knew that this was a very important cause and I asked "How much do you need?" He looked at me astonished because normally they don't ask how much until after they accept.

He said "5 million to start." I looked at him I said "I'll see what I can do, and by the way what ever you did differently today than you did any other day that you've worked here..." He looked as if he was intrigued into what I was going to say. "Keep doing it."

Derek POV

I knew Ellis was right I felt better today than I have in years, and the good thing was, was that I knew what made my mood change.

I was Meredith Grey, I knew I needed her to agree to a date and then impress her. That wasn't going to be easy, I at least knew that.

I didn't know what to do, but I knew it had to be just right at the right time. I had to pay attention and listen to what she wanted and to ask for some pointers from her friends.

I knew the perfect person to ask for pointers... April Kepner.

Narrator's POV

Little did Derek know that April was the one who Alex cheated on Meredith with. And that April was in love with Alex.